Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would really like to breed one of my rat Marsha Willamina Treacle, but I have no mail. I can't find anyone who would buy a male with me, and there are no rats for stud that I can find. Does anyone have suggestions on how to where to get a male? Or is there anyone that lives in a state around Missouri that has a male rat?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmm also my rat has no known pedigree..she was my first ever and
I rescued her from a pet store. The rats there were not being treated well at all and she was the only one that was socialized and not sick. She was going to be sold as feeder in two weeks if I hadn't gotten her, which would have been a horrible fate for such an amazing rat! She is the sweetest, most loving baby in the world! She was probably crossed with like an albino and a Himalayan or something, because she has light Himalayan coloring with a white body and darker nose and rump. Has never shown any health problems, and treats her adopted sister like a baby always cuddling her and bringing her treats! So I thought she would make a great mother, and i would love to have one of her babies to always care for...

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've got males, but they've no pedigree, and I'm in Texas. I don't think that's close enough to Missouri. I think they might be too young, too. I only JUST got them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Next weekend I am probably going to go buy a ratty, I know a really good petstore that, unklike most, does not abuse the animals and treats them really nicely. Marshi's gonna have babies! What is the likely hood that the babies will carry problems like cancer and stuff, though? I have money to treat them if they need medical attention, but I don't want to sell sickly rats to people. Any ones with problems I'm intending to keep. Marsha has no history of illness or mamory lumps except for a very mild respitory infection that has been fully treated. The thing is she almost never shows signs of going into heat, and then it's still hard to tell. Should I just put her and the male togethor for a week and see if she gets pregnant, or what?

·
Registered
19 Posts
My buck that I chose was the cutest little thing, and my brother was about to feed him to his ball python! I wouldn't allow it, so I saved him and now he's a big baby(my fav. buck). I have bucks of no pedigree but I live in florida...

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a male blue rat if your interested in breeding, but im not sure if hes old enough yet. I think he was anout 8 weeks when i got him so im guessing hes about 2-2 1/2 months old now. Im in Georgia BTW.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you lived in Seattle, I would have a beautiful male for you. I have blues and dumbos. I need some new homes. Nomore breeding here:)

ameliaflame said:
I would really like to breed one of my rat Marsha Willamina Treacle, but I have no mail. I can't find anyone who would buy a male with me, and there are no rats for stud that I can find. Does anyone have suggestions on how to where to get a male? Or is there anyone that lives in a state around Missouri that has a male rat?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
God.

You do NOT breed rats without proper pedigrees, or without being a full-fledged registered breeder. Otherwise it's completely unethical and just terrible. Do NOT do it. You have no idea what's in your rat's lines.

And what the ****? Getting a male from a SHELTER? Isn't that a little ironic and hypocritical to you? You adopt an animal needing a home, so you can make 10-15 more animals that need homes.

This thread is sickening.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
That doesn't matter. You don't breed rats unless you're a distinguished, registered breeder, and you've been mentored for at least a year. And at that, they need to be pedigreed rats that have breeding contracts. If she actually decides to breed pet store rats, or rescued rats, that's absolutely terrible - and to those who actually think that's okay, shame on you.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
You know if ameliaflame wants to breed her rat than that’s her own decision. Why would you have to be a distinguished, registered breeder to breed your rat? Have you ever though that when her rat eventually passes away, she may want a little piece of her through a descendent? What does it matter if a rat is pedigreed or not? It should matter... what does matter is the amount of love you give to them and receive from them. I understand your point Night and I respect that you don't want homeless, helpless rats running around, but you have to realize that most of the people in this forum have been doing this for a long time. We are all here to help each other and even if one doesn’t agree with the other we go about it in a considerate way. We are all friends here and have all treated each other as friends. We talk. We help. We don’t scold.

·
Registered
186 Posts
i agree, she shouldnt breed just to breed. their are plenty of sweet loving rats that need homes. adopting is a lot better way to go. even if her rat is great and she wants one like her, thats not a good reason to create 10-15 more just to have 1 or 2. that is very selfish. i am sure their are plenty of rats out there just as great as hers that she could give a loving home to.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I understand that, like I said before. I have no idea why she wants to breed her rat, that was just my thought. My point is, if she wants to and she is willing to care for them, and give then a loving, happy life, then what is wrong with that. People breed rats regaurdless of quailty, even worst, they breed rats for show, isnt that selfish? Don't get me wrong I would rather adopt then breed, but you can't stop her if she wants to. You can't tell someone "no" you can't beacuse I said so. Maybe I'm trying to say... tell her in a kind way? Or give her options like, take her rat to a vet to be tested to make sure the rat is safe to breed.

·
Registered
186 Posts
It would be nice if she would tell us why she wants to breed. If she is willing to keep all the babies and give them a great home then thats fine. I'm not saying she can't breed, I'm just saying she shouldn't breed for selfish reasons. I agree breeding for show is selfish. It's just people wanting to show off and have the best. If she would discuss this with us and tell us why she wants to breed then we could help her out more and give her options.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
JennieLove - the thing is, none of you know much about rats. I am COMPLETELY astounded by this forum and the advice being given to people/what they are doing to the rats. Breeding just to breed is unethical. The whole "wanting a piece of her rat to live on" argument is silly and lame.

Honestly, were you to go to a forum where people were actually knowledgeable about rat care and REAL rat breeders, she (and anyone who agreed with it) would get flamed immediately because of how utterly ludicrous and unthinking it is to just randomly breed their rat for NO reason.

The reason she has to be an accredited breeder with pedigreed rats is because that way she knows what she's getting. What health problems are in the line, what behavior issues, et cetera. Rats from pet stores are bred for QUANTITY rather than QUALITY. They are NOT the kind of animals you want to have reproducing. Even if the male and female seem healthy, anything could pop up in the litter. You can't take that chance. If she really loved her rats, she wouldn't breed them.

Plus, what happens if no one adopts? Is she willing to care for 10-15 more rats without a problem? What happens if something goes wrong during the pregnancy or delivery? Obviously she has NO knowledge on pregnant does or litters, so whatever problem that would come up would probably end up being fatal. Does she have $300-$800+ available in case the momma (or babies) has to make a trip to the emergency vet? Probably not.

You do not breed pet store rats.

You do not breed rescue rats.

Ethical, registered breeders breed rats with pedigree and breeding contracts.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts