Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my rat, Belle, foot maybe broken.
I heard some violent squeaking coming from the cage and I thought she was biting her sisters again. So I took her out and when I put it down, my mom spotted that she was not putting her left leg down at all.

So I checked Belle's foot out and just before the toes it is indeed swollen. She curls her foot up and drags it behind her.
I moved her leg, stretched it and rubbed her knee. She didn't squeak or anything so I lightly touched her foot and she would only squeak randomly. Its hard for me to tell where it hurts.

I'm not sure if her leg is broken or her foot is and I have no idea how it happened either. Maybe overnight.
I tried sitting with her so she wouldn't have to climb around her cage and so I can ice her foot. But she only sat with me for a little before she wanted to get away. She must be stressed because she's grinding her teeth..

I know this means a vet trip. But she had URI when I first got her and I spent around $300 on all three of my rat's treatment. I do not have the budget for this but I want to help her..
Will this get better on its own? Should I separate her or wrap her foot up? Anything I can do?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just gave Belle some yogurt and she seems better. But she's trying to climb the cage..

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
If it was a broken leg, she would probably react much more violently since it would really hurt. Are the toes still red and swollen? How many toes? Its likely that its just a bad sprain and will heal on its own. Don't give her any pain meds while it heals. If it doesn't hurt anymore if she is given medication, she may use it more, and may injure it more. If it hurts, she'll take it easy and not use it much. If she has a break or a fracture anywhere though, a vet should look at it just to be safe since there may be other issues associated with the break. (Blood clot, pinched nerve, infection, etc.)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its not her toes exactly, its the foot part that was red and swollen.
I think you were right about the bad sprain because I just handled her today and she wasn't scrunching up her toes anymore, her foot is still a bit swollen but she's not limping or carrying it anymore.

Thank you for your reply!

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
keep an eye on it. it could be a break or fracture or could be a sprain. I'm most cases the treatment for these are the same. rest and if the rat seems in a lot of pain an anti inflammatory (i wouldn't give any unless the rat seems fluffed up and unhappy most of the time or not eating as a bit of soreness stops then using it).

If she seems bad you can give her some kids ibuprofen suspension, about 1.5ml for a500g buck so probably half that for a small doe.

If it doesn't settle down and improve in a week or out gets worse or more swollen i would get her to the vet. Generally is worse if they can't use the limb and there's no pain. You know it's bad then

1 - 5 of 5 Posts