Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was feeding my boy Mooshie a yogurt drop tonight, and I noticed he seemed to be unable to bite down and seemed to be fussing with his mouth. After checking his mouth I've discovered he's somehow lost his top teeth today - snapped off at the gum line! I checked the cage and discovered one of the teeth in his bed along with a chew toy.

This is the same rat that has been on antibiotics this week for a suspected uri. Don't know if thats a coincidence or somehow connected. His eyes are brown and sticky but he's not sneezing that much to be honest. Could he have had a cage fall that loosened his teeth?

I have an appointment at the vet for Monday, but if anyone has any ideas on why this has happened and how I can make him comfortable. Luckily I have some baby food in the house which he has hoovered up. Poor bub must have been starving as he's unable to chew right now. He's in good spirits aside from that but I can tell his mouth is bothering him as he keeps bruxing and touching it with his paws. :(

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Poor little man :( A cage fall would be the most likely source, but I've only ever seen loose teeth after a fall (which they might as well have come out anyway since he couldn't use them properly). Fortunately their teeth grow quickly, so as long as his food intake doesn't decrease, which would make recovery from his illness much harder, I think he'll be ok :) If he's fussing with his mouth quite often though, you may want to give him some infant ibuprofen. I can't imagine it feels nice to lose teeth like that >.<

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My cage is quite tall but I have lots of hammocks and ropes to catch falls. I might need to go back and rethink the layout. I feel like such a bad owner! I have some metacam left over from my other rat Muffins recent surgery so I could dose him with that. Poor baby. He really wants to eat tasty treats but can't. I better go get some more nice soft food in for him. My boys have not got the best of luck right now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts