Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have just brought two brother rats into my life and have a couple of questions.

1. Is squabbling over food or toys normal? Even if I place 4-5 of the same objects into their cage on different levels, one of the boys will chase the other one and grab away that toy. Then I hear high-pitched squeaking and rustling as the thief dashes away.
  2. Do brother that seem to get along at 3 months usually continue to get along, or can they become combative with each other as they mature? Does castration help keep their relationship peaceful?
I have done some reading, but there is so much conflicting information out there that it gets confusing.

·
Registered
870 Posts
1.Yep, totally normal. Even with 5 of the same thing the one "you" have is the most desirable.
2.I don't think hormonal aggression is a given and according to Rat Daddy's extreme immersion establishing yourself as the boss/alpha/parent rat can go some way to preventing/alleviating it. So far, all of my males were neutered, so I am not an expert on this. I had one issue with a hormonal rat and since I had a mixed (neutered/spayed) mischief, I neutered him and things went very smoothly after that. So, if you have a problem, you can look over Rat Daddy's immersion thread before making a final decision.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts