Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got three brothers. But it seems like two of the boys beat up the other one. He's a bit smaller than the other two, but not by much. I don't know what to do since I don't have the money to get him his own cage.... Tonight I noticed a little bit of blood on his fur, and since he's an albino it's really easy to see it. It was only a little, but it really concerns me. He's also the sweetest one. He loves being picked up and such, whereas the other two don't like it so much. My black one, Leo, my little brother scared him when he picked Leo up one time and even though I do my best to not scare him, he doesn't seem to like being picked up. He did before my brother scared him so I assume he just needs to get used to being handled confidently again.

I'm really concerned for Snow's safety. He's my little brother's rat so if anything happens to him I'm gonna feel so bad.... Would putting him in his own cage be a good idea? I have a three story cage right now, so maybe I could put wire mesh across the middle of it so that it becomes two separate cages on top of each other? I don't know. I'm new to having multiple rats at the same time..... Any and all help is extremely appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Can you check his body over for any scabs or scratches? Also could you get a video of how they behave around each other in the cage? How old are they all?

A certain amount of dominance squabbles isn't a big deal but they can take it too far

·
Registered
604 Posts
It might not be blood either. I had a light colored rat that would clean herself and get porphyrin behind her ears and neck. But yes pictures or a video would help. My littlest rat tends to get bullied the most. For instance I literally just got woken up out of a dead sleep because Cheshire screeched so loud. But he was fine and often gets very vocal during squabbles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They seemed to have calmed down now. So IDK what it was all about. I'm wondering if they were just playing around a little too roughly. But the other two don't have any scabs or anything on them. So I wonder if maybe Snow said something the other two didn't like? I noticed yesterday that all three of them kind of stood in the corner by one of the ramps to the second "story" (they were on the top) and kind of just... Stood there. Almost like they were scared to go down there. But they're fine now. I was gone for a couple of days to visit with my boyfriend and his family, and I had never seen them do that. If they do that or fight again I'll be sure to get a video for you guys! It was the squeaking that really concerned me and made me think he was getting bullied, but if ya'll's rats squeak a lot during play then maybe I have nothing to worry about. Thank you guys!

I've also noticed that my other animals (the dogs mostly) seem to stare at this one corner in our house, almost like there's something there. One of our dogs even barks at it a couple times. Which is weird since it's the corner of the room that the roof connects to the two walls. So I'm wondering if maybe my house is haunted and whatever is haunting it came out into my RV to say hi? I fully believe in ghosts and the paranormal and have felt a presence in our house since we moved in eight years ago. It's never been malevolent so I'm not too afraid. But I know that rats are like other animals and can sense those kinds of things. IDK, just a thought I guess. lol. Either way, thank you guys for your input! Sorry for the long rant. XD

1 - 4 of 4 Posts