Rat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, it's my first post here. Let me Just start by saying that I've had many rats before in my life, and I've never seen such behavior before.

About a week ago i bought the right Cage, i made sure everything is ready for the arrival of my two girls. Yesterday we brought them home, i left them Alone for 3 hours and then i came back to check on them, and i immidietly saw that one of them is sitting in one place, her fur was puffy and her nose a lil Red, i knew that it means stress so i didnt even try to open the Cage, yet as soon as i did she jumped on my hand and didnt want to get off it.

Both rats are about 2-3 months old, one of them is really outgoing, curious and she licks babyfood of my finger, she is kind of shy but she moves around the Cage with no problem, she is also bigger in size and acts completly normal like all of my rats did before.

However the second rat is much smaller andand very sleepy even during night. She very hardly moves around the cage, what i mean by that is that she randomly stops, she squints her eyes and doesnt move anymore. She is kind of clumsy and slow. She doesnt stop bruxing her teeth and she seems to be very lethargic. I also noticed that her tail is very pale and its very loose, not like her sister's. I'm having some dark thoughts that she might be ill or have an infection but i'm also wondering maybe it is too early to jump into conclusions as the rats are with me Just for two days. Im really worried because she isn't scared of my hand, i even picked her up to check if she Has any bumps, but even while sitting on my hand she was bruxing her teeth and slowly closing her eyes. She doesnt want to eat anything off my finger yet, and i know that is a normal behavior since she is young and new to this place but her sister enjoys all type of food that i hand her. I Can't find any anwsers on the web, i'm going crazy and I don't know if i should take her to the vet immidietly or wait for her to completly settle in.

Is she ill? Maybe scared ? Maybe it is Just her personality? Maybe she's Just young ? Should I wait ? Should i call the vet? My poor little girl might be suffering and I Can't help her if i don't know what's wrong..
馃悂馃悁

Oh and I should also add that she doesn't seem to be interested in anything, when i walk by her sister is already by the enteance hoping i'll give her a treat. I know every rat is different but even when i place a treat right next to her she doesnt even sniff it. She doesnt stop bruxing..

Registered
The first think you should do is get her checked by a vet, next it could be that she's afraid of something, hence the freezing, puffed out fur, disinterest. However, it doesn't sound like she's afraid of you, is it possible she's afraid of noise, movement, new surroundings, going out of her cage? Try to figure out if she's afraid of anything so you can concentrate on working with her on what she's afraid of, you can meanwhile continue showing her that you are a safe place so that she'll be less anxious. Again, please go to a vet before anything.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
The first think you should do is get her checked by a vet, next it could be that she's afraid of something, hence the freezing, puffed out fur, disinterest. However, it doesn't sound like she's afraid of you, is it possible she's afraid of noise, movement, new surroundings, going out of her cage? Try to figure out if she's afraid of anything so you can concentrate on working with her on what she's afraid of, you can meanwhile continue showing her that you are a safe place so that she'll be less anxious. Again, please go to a vet before anything.
Thanks so much for the reply, I'm about to book an apointment. Also When I opened the Cage today she jumped on my hand and didn't want to get back into the Cage, still the bruxing continues. I put her on a pillow in the bathroom and ran hot water in the bath tub so she could feel comfy and warm(obviously she was sitting on my lap and not in the bath tub). I gave her baby food on a spoon and she finally starter to eat. She is a little weak but she starter to move more often. The bruxing stopped when I had her laying on my lap. The redness from her nose went away, she isn't sneezing nor heavy breathing, it's the constant bruxing and her not Being so active that im afraid of.

Registered
Aww! she's so cute!!! It's great that your taking her to the vet if she's not eating. Sounds like she really likes you, or is she afraid of your other rat?

Registered
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Aww! she's so cute!!! It's great that your taking her to the vet if she's not eating. Sounds like she really likes you, or is she afraid of your other rat?
Thanks !
They Sleep Together, but nothing else, once saw them playing but it lasted for 30 seconds, after that she froze again. Also I only once saw her eating in the Cage so I take her out every 3-4 hours to Feed her. Also here is a picture of what she does really randomly, followed by bruxing. No matter if she is inside or outside the cage she seems to be scared ? Could IT be a PTSD of some sort ?

Attachments

Registered
I don't think it's PTSD animals really live in the moment but they can be scared of something because of something that happened a while ago if that's what you meant. But like I said, first take her to the vet in case it's something inner, and if she's not sick you can do little assessments to figure out if she's afraid of something. For example find something that makes an unexpected noise and then see what her reaction is, things like that. Also for reference you can use this article by Joinrats: Major Rat Body Language - RattyRat - JoinRats

Registered
Idk if I鈥檓 just paranoid by nature but I think it鈥檚 a good idea to get her checked out ASAP, I take no chances with my little girly gooses and I鈥檝e only had them for 3 weeks but both already needed antibiotics after a few days for respiratory infections (I鈥檓 assuming from former home) but I was doubting if I should bring them as I didn鈥檛 know their behavior yet and if they were both just slow/ lethargic naturally and perhaps sneezing from getting used to the new environment? but I鈥檓 happy I did, because now they wrestle and dart all night haha. Keep us updated !!

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Guys.. Bad news..

Unfortunately she had PT and passed away due to a seizure at 1am.. All vets were closed.. It was too late.. we wanted to take her to the vet yesterday but unfortunately God had his own plans.. Today I'm buying another little ratty, so my other girl doesn't get lonely and sad..

Even though she was with us for a short period of time, I won't ever forget her. She was Just my little ball of happiness.. She was suffering and I tried my best to give her as much Love as possible , especially at her last hours of life.. I put her in a smaller Cage and she went to sleep.. forever..

馃晩 馃挋鈽
Sweet dreams Holland.
I will always Love You.

Registered
I am so sorry to hear that 馃槶 that happened to my girl Lady a few years back, it was a Sunday night and they had no idea what to do for her except the inevitable. My thoughts are with you and your other baby 鉂

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Thank You all for your Love and support.. Indeed, i tried my best and I stayed by her side till the very end. I know each and everyone of You would do the same.

And for anybody who sees their rat acting like this, please take your baby to the vet immidietly.

鈽侌煉欚煏

1 - 14 of 14 Posts