Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.ratforum.com/showthread.php?263937-Bubonia-in-hospital

An update on this... Bubonia didn't make it. I was told this morning that after a night of being treated at the clinic, she was just lying on her side and was on oxygen because she was struggling and couldn't breathe on her own. The vet who called me was suspicious that her central nervous system had been invaded by mycoplasma, and said that she thought it was "time for her to go to heaven." Bubonia was put to sleep today. I had a hard time focusing today... a supervisor was generous enough to let me go home a little early since it seemed I wasn't feeling well. I said sorry if I seemed out of it. People are being more gracious and understanding than I was expecting them to be. I was grateful because today, I just want to be alone. Even though I'm sure all the grief hasn't even sunk in yet.

Bubonia must have gotten sick very fast, because the night before, she seemed fine, I'm told (I was in bed, but my fiance says he visited her). This is the second time I've had a rat die too young and I've had rats for only about six months. In November, one of them died suddenly of unexplained causes... he was fine, then suddenly he freaked out and jumped down and was dead within minutes, from a possible heart attack or seizure or something. It's just such a shock how quickly these incidents have happened, even though unlike with Marburg (the boy who died within minutes), I at least had time to get Bubonia to the emergency 24-hour vet and she survived the night while hospitalized there, though she deteriorated overnight. I have gotten to the point where I experience a lot of anxiety about my rats getting sick and dying all of a sudden, and it's not fun.

It was hard to get good pictures of Bubonia, being a shy black Berkshire with a more social cagemate who tends to mug for the camera. But here's a few. (Speaking of the cagemate, I'm worried about her, since she's now a lone rat and as you can see, they'd reached the point where they were often cuddling. I suppose I'll have to find another girl and I'm not really looking forward to searching for and intro'ing another rat...)

Cage Rat Muridae Muroidea Pest Cage Iron Line Architecture Metal Iron Metal Muridae Muroidea Rat

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I know I'm late but I'm really sorry

1 - 3 of 3 Posts