Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please keep Bubonia in your thoughts. This evening, I went to check on my two girls and noticed something was off about her. She was half hanging out of her bed, really listless, and pressing her head into the bottom of the bed. When I pulled her out, she continued to be listless. As my fiance and I looked at her, we noticed her head pressing, listing to one side, porphyrin in an eye (which isn't normal for her), and barely being able to walk. I had read that head pressing, especially, is an ominous sign in pets, and on top of the other symptoms we took her straight to the emergency 24-hour vet. Our vet was closed by that time.

They think that she has some sort of infection, possibly myco, that has gotten into her central nervous system. That sounds bad (though I was also wondering if it could be an ear infection... though it was alarming seeing how she was having trouble walking.) They are going to be keeping her there for a day or so for treatment and observation. They said that while they believe there is a chance she may recover with the treatments they'll give her, they can't guarantee she'll make it.

As I understand, as of last night even, she seemed fine! So this must have just developed today. I guess it's true, what they say about rats going downhill really fast when they get sick. :( This is not the first time we've had to take one of our rats to that emergency vet either (though last time, when we took Bubie's cagemate there, she recovered from her problem with a course of Baytril... however, sadly, Bubie is in worse shape...)

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Here is hoping for the best ;)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bubonia's cagemate, Samantha ("Sammy"), appears to be getting depressed since she's been alone in the cage, lying around in the hammock. We've been trying to spoil her this evening by taking her out and holding her and giving her treats. But I am concerned that she is going to become more depressed during the 24 hours that Bubie is gone. And if we get her back, I may not put them back in the same cage right away if she's still sick.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I wish the best for her! And, I must say, I LOVE her name <3

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you! My fiance named her after the bubonic plague. She was a case of mistaken gender--we were told she was a boy at first, and he originally named her Bubonios!

Sadly, she didn't make it. She got to the point where she was lying on her side and could no longer breathe on her own and she was PTS today. :'( Thank you for the well wishes, though.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm so sorry :-/ did they know what it was?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you. They weren't able to confirm it for sure, but they think it was likely mycoplasma invading her central nervous system. It was so scary because it happened so fast!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts