Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my mostly white rat Panda has some light orange-pink looking stuff on his fur on his back and shoulders. it's in small "patches" and if i pet that area a few times, it goes away. i can't see this on my dark gray rat Scout, and they share the same cage.

they aren't scratching or grooming any more than usual, maybe one scratch or grooming session every five minutes or so. their fur is nice and shiny and isn't falling out or anything unusual.

they do wrestle a lot, do you think Panda could be getting hurt? i never have heard him squeal so i don't think it's blood (and i didn't see any wounds when i pushed his fur back to look at the skin)

probably over-reacting but these two boys are my first males and i don't really know what buck grease looks like 8O

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Buck grease gets my vote also :)

My late BEW rex boy, Winterbane, was very buck grease-y (raging hormones, and at the time I wasn't a neuter nazi). Although he was a white rat, he sometimes looked nearly fawn because of the grease. This picture shows him (well, his back/bum!) with only a slight amount of buck grease. Sometimes his back would literally be bright orange :p

Here are my first rats (RIP), Weezil & Ferret. Ferret, on the right, has buck grease:

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the bottom picture is almost exactly what i'm seeing on Panda's back!
i'm glad it's nothing serious :D

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
If the orangey pink is on his skin I would say buck grease but if its on his fur then it could be porphryin staining since he's light coloured. Porphyrin is in their saliva and some white rats will show staining on their neck and shoulders. They can get it on themselves or another rat may lick them and stain them too.

You can see some of the staining here on Selene's shoulders. Sometimes its much darker.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts