Rat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a few days ago I noticed Buddy was acting a little strange. When they'd come out for free time he wouldn't actually play, he'd just go into one of the blankets and stay there. I thought he might be having a myco flare or something so I started him on some anti biotics. After a day he seemed a bit better. Not full energy, but better. However last night there was some drama with his foot so I missed that dose and the one this morning. (forgot this morning) And today when they were having free time he just went into the blankets again, and when I put him back into the cage he just slept. I've seen him eat and drink, so I think he's OK there, but I'm not sure what exactly is wrong. I started him on the meds again and will continue for at least a few more days. But if that dosn't help is there something else that could cause a change like this? Or do I just need to get stronger meds?

·
Registered
874 Posts
I would suggest you take him to the vet. I would be weary of putting him on stronger meds or antibiotics before I knew what was really wrong. It's good that he still has an appetite, but not good that he's suddenly lethargic. Hope things get better soon.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I would suggest you take him to the vet. I would be weary of putting him on stronger meds or antibiotics before I knew what was really wrong. It's good that he still has an appetite, but not good that he's suddenly lethargic. Hope things get better soon.
Ditto, behavior changes such as you are describing are an alert that something is going South, and merit a vet visit.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I gave him the meds last night and this morning he seems active again. Weird

I'm going to keep giving them for a few days and if he goes back down after I stop (or before) I'll take him to the vet.

·
Registered
874 Posts
It's your decision, but he might be in pain and need an anti inflammatory not only anti biotics. I know vet bills are expensive, believe me I do, it's just so often you read about people who wish they'd done something sooner when things go south. I'm not saying that's going to happen but when we have pets we have the responsibility of taking them to the vet when they're not well just as we'd take our kids to the dr if sick. Just as children, changes in personality or behavior when you don't have words to explain generally mean something's not right. I'm sorry but I don't agree with just giving anti biotics when I don't know what is wrong. Glad he's perked up a bit though. Hope everything works out well.

·
Registered
270 Posts
You shouldn't ever give antibiotics sporadically or for "only a few days" even if your rat seems better. A few doses or even a few days of doses might bring down an infection but is unlikely to fully eliminate it. Dosing sporadically will just breed bacteria that are resistant to the antibiotics you are using, not to mention putting your rat through the stress of repeatedly getting better and worse.

Think of it this way. Maybe you give your rat antibiotics for three days and it kills 90% of the bacteria. The other 10% are somewhat resistant to the medication and survive such a short regimen. The rat seems better, so you stop. That remaining 10% multiplies until your rat is sick again, but now 100% of the bacteria are resistant to the medication since they came from the 10% that survived before. But if you'd dosed for a week maybe all of the bacteria would have been killed off, even the partially resistant ones. Proper dosing schedules depend on the medication, your rat, and the illness, and should be decided by a vet - one medication might only need to be used for a week, another might need to be used for two weeks.

If you have trouble remembering to give doses, you need to set an alarm for it. Improper use of antibiotics is one of the single biggest issues in healthcare.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't intend to stop. I gave them for 3 days, then there was a tramatic incident and I missed a day, now he's back on them. I'll keep giving them too him for at least 5 more days. He seems better again and I don't want that to stop.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Well you did say you forgot a dose, if that's something that might happen repeatedly an alarm is a good idea. Glad he seems better and hope the improvement continues!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well you did say you forgot a dose, if that's something that might happen repeatedly an alarm is a good idea. Glad he seems better and hope the improvement continues!
Saturday night I missed the dose because he got injured and wouldn't stop bleeding. Freaked me out big time so I didn't sleep well because I kept waking up to check on him. I forgot the next morning because I was tired.

·
Registered
320 Posts
It's your decision, but he might be in pain and need an anti inflammatory not only anti biotics. I know vet bills are expensive, believe me I do, it's just so often you read about people who wish they'd done something sooner when things go south. I'm not saying that's going to happen but when we have pets we have the responsibility of taking them to the vet when they're not well just as we'd take our kids to the dr if sick. Just as children, changes in personality or behavior when you don't have words to explain generally mean something's not right. I'm sorry but I don't agree with just giving anti biotics when I don't know what is wrong. Glad he's perked up a bit though. Hope everything works out well.
Amen.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He's doing way better. This morning he was out playing with the other guys rather then sitting my my lap/shoulder the whole time. He's so sweet, and I love when he's affectionate like that, but it's not normal so I'm glad to see him being his energetic self again.

The reason I gave him the meds, rather then go to the vet, is because the only vet in town that will even see rats doesn't know much about them and I'm 99.9% sure she would have just put him on the meds first anyway. I figured I'd try it myself and if it didn't work then I'd take him in. It seems to be working, or whatever it was is clearing up on it's own, because he's getting back to his old self again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts