Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I got my babies 5 days ago from a pet store and today I found little redish brownish "long" looking bugs on them. I've been doing research all night and I'm not really sure what they are. What should I do? Are they harmful to the rats, my other pets, or myself?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sounds like they could be fur mites. They shouldn't spread to other species or humans, but it would be best to take your rats to the vet for meds. Mites can cause a lot of itching.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Sounds like lice. You cant see mites, only scabs from them. But lice are little redish brown bugs that you can see. Dont worry, they are species specific. They probably came on the rats from the pet store.. It causes excessive itching. I would freeze food and bedding(if you use bedding) for atleast 48 hrs. (Always do this when buying new food and bedding as a prevention so you dont get reinfected wiith lice or mites)Vets sell topical kitten revolution and ivermectin. That will take care of the lice.I think you can also purchase ivermectin online. Depends on how old your rats are as to what is safest to use.If they are really young not sure what is safest to use. After you treat them, clean cage very thoroughly. Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.