Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I want to expand. I was looking at cages today, and found one that was an okay size for two ratties, but I think that they deserve more space. ^_^ :twisted: hehe. So I was thinking about building one of my own. The mesh isn't really all that expensive, just twelve dollars a role. I would need about two of them I think. Does anyone know if Home depo would make the cuts in the wood I need, if I asked them too? hmmm. I think I'll call and ask tomorrow. They had one built at the pet store for some doves, and it was huge! Eep! lol. I'm all excited about it, but Leon (my fiancee (sp?) ) isn't so sure. I do have a space issue in my house... Maybe I can make it taller the longer with more levels and ramps. what do you guys think? The one I saw was like five feet long, two to two and a half feet wide, and about three feet tall. Do you all think thats a good size for them? Does anyone have any designs that they have of there own? I need inspiration!!!!!^_^ :D

·
Registered
981 Posts
When I was originally considering building a cage, I was going to base it off of the Rat Grotto at the dapper rat. However, I think buying a cage is simply the better option.

The cage you mentioned seems like a good size to me. What's your price range? Also, is the mesh you're looking at coated in something? You'll really want that, I think, if it's going to be the main walls of the cage.

I do believe Home Depot will cut the wood however you like, but don't know for sure.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Thats a good size for some rats!...
U need to focus on 3 things!

1) Building the frame, make sure u use something that is sturdy.(wood will work the best but u may have the pee issue aftrer awhile but very doubtful that they will pee on the walls.

2)Make sure the wire mesh u get (hardware cloth) Is good for your cage it doesnt have to be coated but it last longer if its waterproof.

3)Make sure u have a big enough litter pan for the floor. U can buy aluminum and just tape it together with alot og packing tape. bend the perimeter to make a pan.

Hope i helped good luck. Make sure u make large doors so u can add shelves and toys easily. U should probably make the whole front of the cage open this way u can for sure get anywhere u want in the cage.

To make a door. Make a frame that will sit on hinges on the cages frame. Mesh the door and side of cage and then ull be good! If u build wooden frame u can just strategically use an industrial stapler to attach the mesh!

Have fun!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
way2kewl4u_92 said:
Thats a good size for some rats!...
U need to focus on 3 things!

1) Building the frame, make sure u use something that is sturdy.(wood will work the best but u may have the pee issue aftrer awhile but very doubtful that they will pee on the walls.
I wouldn't think that's all that doubtful, actually, especially if there's boys.

·
Registered
549 Posts
way2kewl4u_92 said:
very doubtful that they will pee on the walls.
My boys pee on the walls of my apartment when their cage is ~8in away, they will pee on the walls of the cage, wood will soak it up and smell very bad very quickly, if you do use wood you'll want to coat it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts