Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since decent size cages are crazy expensive we've decided to build our own. What we're planning on using is http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...d=10053&productId=100498596&categoryID=525763 yhe lid of something like that for the bottom. It's not quite that big but it's that material. :)
For the wire I can't find a link on the site but it's rather flexibe and the right size spaces. It's stronger than chicken wire. For the bedding we were going to use carpet but what kind would you suggest? We were worried about them possibly eating at it and getting sick? Thanks for the help <3

·
Registered
532 Posts
if you do use carpet it will need to be washed or switched out every few days since it will absorb any urine but will not mask the scent. something "tightly woven" would be best; otherwise their claws may get stuck in the material and they could get pretty badly hurt. a lot of people here use fleece or towels, and a few people have tried astro-turf (with bad results ;)) i don't know if a rat automatically swallows what it chews, but people here post that it is common for the fleece to get chewed up, and no one has mentioned their rats getting ill from chewing/eating it (that i know of)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Carpet would be okay, but it would have be washed frequently. I don't know if you can put carpet through the wash machine though, so I'm not sure how good it would be. Most people do use fleece or towels, although I remember someone's cage from a while back had that indoor/outdoor carpet on the levels.

For the hardware cloth, make sure you get the coated wire. It's usually green or black, and PVC coated. The galvanized stuff will absorb urine and odors and get rusty and have to be replaced.

I've never made a cage before, but I have worked with hardware cloth to cover my girls' cage. It's not incredibly sturdy, and you'll need to make a frame out of something to hold it up and in shape. There are some threads floating around about other peoples' homemade cages, if you haven't browsed through yet :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm thinking of using linoleam or however you spell it. :)
thanks <3
my dad seems to think this wire will hold it's own without any structure but we'll make sure not to get the galvanized kind.
thanksomuch
I'll post pictures when we get it built. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts