Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to build a new home for my boys, the start of next year, to get christmas out of the way = ]

i need ideas
i thought about buying a shelf unit with about 5 shelves well spaced, - just for the starting frame, them add wire doors etc

i need ideas, so i can start buying materials etc

i have 3 big boys - maybe another one sometime soon
i have pics in gallery if you want to see = ]

pics of homemade homes would be great = ]
and ideas on what to put in them

·
Registered
730 Posts
The only issue with most bookshelves you'll find is that thgey're not nearly deep enough for rats. Most measure 12" or less, when rats need a minimum of 18" with 24" being ideal. Your best bet would be to buy melamine (??) and make your own, which is what I did for my first cage.

If I remember correctly, the measurements on that cage were 24"x24"x36". It ended up costing close to $100 build and was suitable for 3 rats (although I did have 4 manrats cramed in there). The pictures show it being used as a QT cage for a 7 week old female.

If I was ever going to use this cage again (which I would do in a heartbeat) I would pull out those small shelves and make a full level in the middle and a half level up top. I would also put in eyehooks so I could hang more hammocks. I made that cage over 2 years ago, and still find that it was the easiest cage in the world to clean. All you need to clean it is a dustpan to scoop out the bedding and some papertowels with a bucket of water/cleaner mix. Din't even take 30 minutes to clean the whole thing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool, great seeing a pic, thats how i pictured mine to look like. i think i will use a wire mesh for the back od the cage, mine like to climb and i can use screw on ropes etc for them.

thanks = ]

·
Registered
343 Posts
Building a rat cage should be relatively easy in my opinion.If you think about it its essentially only a box with a hinged door and a few shelves.

Im not trying to take away from anyones hard work , just trying to say dont be daunted by starting a project like this.Once you start building youll see it come together real quickly !

The coolest thing about building a cage yourself is that its design is only limited by your imagination and relative skill.The possibilitys are endless !

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
putting one together is a snap

putting one together with materials that won't cause adverse health issues is an entirely different matter

·
Registered
447 Posts
Nice cage... I think building a cage is easy... But knowing the dangers of it are not quite as easy. Just stay away from chemicals and u will more than likely be in good hands.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts