Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago I rescued two boys who had been treated horribly in the past. The woman I got them from (who was rehoming them from the person who neglected them) said that the Rex boy (Felix) was very energetic and was constantly being bitten by other rats because he just never leaves them alone. Oscar (not sure of breed) is very mellow and calm, he was the only rat she could house with Felix as he accepted Felix behaviour and didn’t bite him for it. I’m now at my wits end with Felix, he is constantly chasing Oscar around and pinning him down, Oscar runs and screams when he does it. He is very vocal anyway and can be a drama queen, he sometimes squeaks when I pick him up but I’m not hurting him. But Oscar constantly is running from Felix and Felix will push him off shelves and down ladders because he just won’t stop. They bang around screaming during the night and it sounds like they’re being killed! I’m constantly having to get up and tell Felix off but it just carries on (he won’t do it when I’m watching him so he knows it’s wrong). Poor Oscar leaped onto me last night when I opened the door to break it up and refused to go back in the cage so I ended up letting him sleep on me all night.. Oscar is so calm and mellow and just wants to cuddle Felix, bare in mind they often do sleep together in hammocks and cuddle. They have never draw blood for each other and Oscar is always fine when I check him over but I still worry so much that this is more than play. I really don’t know what to do as I’m worried Felix will really hurt him one day! Or Oscar will have had enough and will hurt Felix. I feel like I’m failing them I just want them to be calm happy boys who get on. I feel horrible for poor Oscar he’s old and just wants to relax. Has anyone got any advice on what I can do? I was thinking of neutering Felix but he’s too old and probably wouldn’t survive it. I don’t want to split them up as they do enjoy each others company a lot of the time. Am I over reacting and they’re just playing? Or is Felix really bullying him? I’m so lot with what to do!

·
Registered
27 Posts
It seems that Oscar is really unhappy. Neutering may be your best option if you don't want to separate them. Another option is getting another smaller cage. Whenever Felix is bullying Oscar separate Felix and put him in the smaller cage. Whenever you walk into the room and find them cuddling or when they're not fighting give both of them a treat. This might help train Felix to stop bullying Oscar, but it's not positive.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts