Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No worries, my rats don't have it, I'm just researching some diseases and ailments for future reference *hoping to god i don't have any run ins with any of them* anyway, from my understanding of bumble foot there is no cure?! What do you guys know of it?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
indeed it is, they are abscesses that form on the pads of the foot from infected abraisions. I have found that there are some 'cures', but obviously prevention is key.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm trying to remember where, but I remember reading that it's a huge misconception that rats get Ulcerative Pododermatitis (bumble foot) from wire cages. I think I read it in a book at the pet store.

From what I understand, they get bumble foot if they happen to get a cut on their feet that gets infected.

So if you have nice high quality wires that are heavily coated with a nice smooth coating, they shouldn't get cuts from them. Cheap poor quality or rusty wires could lead to cuts, which in turn then could lead to infection, and bumblefoot.

In other words, to prevent bumblefoot, you want smooth surfaces, or high quality wires (with many mats covering most of the wire bottom so they don't have to walk on the wires that often), and a very sanitary cage. If the cage is clean, then infection is less likely in the case that they do somehow get a cut.

One option for curing bumblefoot is surgery, which seems to work with varying success.

I did find a few websites that claim that Blu-Kote is the "cure" in the case that this happens, and that Blu-Kote works rather well in most cases. So that's something to remember if nothing else :)

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
surgery is often not a good idea because the chances are high that your rat could bleed to death apparently. And yes you're right about the wire cages, I think it has a lot to do with wire FLOORED cages though not so much just regular wire cages, most cages have plastic bottoms or what not, but the ramps and shelving are metal

·
Registered
489 Posts
Eh i hate wired cages whether it causes it or not. Cant be comfy...

Prevention is easy then. My girls cage is always spotless.

·
Registered
357 Posts
chrisstrikeagain said:
Eh i hate wired cages whether it causes it or not. Cant be comfy...
I do have a wire cage because the ventilation is very important and it provides the most.

As for the bottom of the cage being wire, it works wonderfully, because I cover about 80% of the wires with a large mat that holds in place with rings like a hammock.

This is wonderful because they always sit and lay on the thick soft fleece mat but when they need to poo and pee they walk out and stand over the bars. Hence their droppings and urine puddles go through the bars onto the pull out drawer with a liner and therefore keeps the feces away from them and their cage stays more sanitary.

They will not go to the bathroom where they like to sleep, so they always leave the mat just for bathroom time, which works great for both them and for me for cleaning. :)

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well its not just the actual feces that causes bumblefoot, its the bacteria from the feces, so even if their pee or poo just touches the bars for a fragment of a second,the bacteria can still be left behind, so if their foot ends up with open sores caused by the bars, this bacteria can enter causing abscesses on the pads of the feet which is exactly what bumblefoot is., Its also apparently very common in birds, which doesn't surprise me since birds cages are generally wire.

·
Registered
357 Posts
It's okay renay, I have a very high quality brand new cage with perfectly coated wires. :)

If someone has a cage with a flat bottom and wire platforms and sides, they're just as if not MORE likely to get bumble foot. The feces just sits on the bottom so if they get a cut from ANYTHING in the cage, there it is. :(

·
Registered
489 Posts
Let me clarify...i hate wire floors. I just reread what i said and i do love wire cages...but i dont like the floors. My cage is covered(besides the two ramps.

My cage is also coated but if i didnt cover the bottom, theyd chew off the coat. They already got alot of the coatin off the sides.

·
Registered
357 Posts
chrisstrikeagain said:
Let me clarify...i hate wire floors. I just reread what i said and i do love wire cages...but i dont like the floors. My cage is covered(besides the two ramps.

My cage is also coated but if i didnt cover the bottom, theyd chew off the coat. They already got alot of the coatin off the sides.
Ahhhh, I see. Now THAT might lead to unsafe pokey wires. My girls are not at all chewers, Thank goodness!! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts