Rat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On 9/22 I posted a thread about my boy Axel having sores on both back feet. I started out washing his feet with Dial antibacterial soap and spraying then with BluKote, an antibacterial, antifungal, etc spray on bandage type of item. It was working so I changed bedding to paper from aspen and my vet gave me a silver sulfadiazine ointment. I've been using that for a month, wrapping with a "trauma free" bandage, and there still seems to be no improvement. In fact, the sores slowly continue to grow. What can I do to help that I'm not doing now?

·
Registered
953 Posts
I've not had a rat before with this issue, but I believe I've read here that sometimes the tissue is necrotic around the sore and therefore would need to be removed by a vet. You might call your vet and ask. He may need a debridement.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I'd look into vet bed, this is a thick fleece carpet which vets use to line kennels and such and has the advantage of being very absorbent and keeping them well away from any urine. Paper isn't absorbent enough (so he'll be treading in his own urine) and aspen can get in and irritate. Its washable and you can cut it to size. Whilst I wouldn't have it full time as a substrate its great for hospital cages and such.

Whats his weight like? Bumble foot is often exascerbated by obescity, so if he's a bit chubby then a diet would be a great idea.

In extreme cases the rat has also benefited from having the bumble removed, to give them a kind of fresh start, but I'd leave that for when you've ruled out the other options as you have to manage an open sore on the foot, and theres not much spare skin on the foot to close the wound.

·
Registered
227 Posts
My older guy has bumble foot, yes he is big, but it started a while ago, my vet prescribed Azthromycin Pediatric ( the drug may be named differently)it is a anti-bionic, the vet also prescribed " Flamazine " it is a topical cream that I rub gently into the feet,,,but first I cleans the feet with hydro cloroxide, dry, feet apply cream, place my rat onto clean surface,,,,bumble foot can take a long time to treat,,,,I have been doing it for 4 weeks, now am now seeing some results, the sores are getting smaller. Keep the floor of the cage clean and new,,,,,I put down cardboard ,( score the board, to open it up) it soaks up the pee, and is cheap...and can be done daily,,,,Just keep at it....all the best

·
Registered
995 Posts
Try Vetricyn. Its expensive but totally worth it. I applied it to my girls feet three times a day and it was gone in a week. Its also useful to have around as you can put it on other wounds.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Veterycin just showed up today. I looked for vet bed at the store and it looks like I will need to get some online.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Two months of the last treatment and still nothing. I've used BluKote spray, silver sulfadiazine, also known as Flamazine, and Veterycin. Tried vet bed. No improvements in any way. What else is there to try at this point?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Sorry they are sideways. They won't post right. He is still blue from the BluKote spray.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've not experienced this in rats, but in chinchillas it's common to put bag balm on bumble foot. Worth a shot at this point, right? It isn't toxic and does well on bumble in chins

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I switched from BluKote to Veterycin but that blue sure stays around a while. I spray them twice a day, every twelve hours. The spray says you should do it every 8 but I work ten hour shifts, 5 days a week, so twelve is what we manage. They cracked and bled once when he was being fussy and jumped out of my hands onto the floor but they have not burst or bled. Always just been those sores. We tried washing them with antibacterial soap and then rubbing in some silver sulfadiazine my vet gave to me and wrapping them up in bandages and that didn't work either. The sores have slowly gotten bigger over 3 or 4 months but have stopped at that size a couple weeks ago.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts