Rat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi friends, my little guy has a bump on his face, and it's bizarre because it seems like it came out of nowhere. I swear a few days ago his face seemed normal, and then this bump developed seemingly over night. It almost looks like he's hoarding something in his mouth, but it's been like this for days now, and I don't know what to do. He's still eating, drinking, and exploring when I take him and his companion out of their cage, but this just doesn't look normal, and I'm concerned. I'll be calling the vet and setting up an appointment first thing on Monday (no place near me is open tomorrow because of Easter).

Have any of you seen this before? If so, did it usually mean something serious? I'm also concerned because he was just treated for a respiratory infection last month. His breathing is better, but still labored compared to his cage mate. I would hate to put him through another stressful visit to a vet so soon after being seen by one only a month ago.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Any updates?????

Reactions: Willow&Whiskers

·
Registered
577 Posts
fingers crossed that it is nothing bad!!!

Reactions: isl3cat

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not looking very promising :( They said his breathing doesn't sound good, and they can't know for sure if the lump is cancerous unless they take a sample and send it to a lab. They want to X-ray him too, and none of these things are cheap. He's about two years and three months old. I told them to go ahead with the tests, and I want to stay positive, but I can't help but think that this might be it for him.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Ya! Stay positive! He will be ok!

Reactions: isl3cat

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: My vet got back to me yesterday with the results, and she found that the abscess isn't cancerous thankfully. She suspects that it was caused by an infected bite or cut on his face. After doing a little research, abscesses seem to be somewhat common with rats, so I'm not quite as concerned as I was before.

His breathing is still a bit strained despite being on the antibiotics, so I'm a little concerned about that. He's supposed to be on them for the next three weeks, so I guess I'll see if the breathing gets better.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
You might want to do a little research on exotics vets in your area. Next time one of your rats needs a vet, you might want to think about trying someone else. An abscess should've been your vet's very first guess. Getting lab tests was likely a waste of money. An x-ray might have been helpful to determine if there's an issue with your rat's teeth. Antibiotics will help but if there's some sort of tooth problem going on, antibiotics will only address the symptoms and not the cause. If there's no evidence of a bite or scratch on the outside of your rat's face, the cause is likely on the inside of your rat's face.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Omg, My rat once got the same thing very suddenly, and died in a few days! I hope your baby makes it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts