Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, one of my boys has a pretty nasty respiratory infection. I took him to the vet but only got given 7 days worth of baytril. She said to come back for another consultation if it didn't work and that she'd send off some samples and take some extra tests (which is a big waste of money since i've kept rats for seven years and know a respiratory infection when i see one). If a keep dealing with that particular veterinarian i'm not going to get anywhere but my clinic doesn't allow you to book an appointment prior or to choose who you see. I was thinking of emailing the clinic in the hope that someone would be willing to sell me say 1 or 2 bottles of baytril that i could just drop in and pick up. Has anyone else managed to do this and if so, what was the cost? I trust myself enough now to know if and when one of my rats needs a course and since the vet isn't within walking distance and only my dad drives i feel bad making him take me back and forth.

Any advice would be so so helpful, thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I've flat out been told no by every vet I've ever asked for extra meds. If they give you more than the course for one animal then they're essentially letting you dose your own animals without having them checked out first which, regardless of whether you know what you're doing or not, most vets just won't consent to since there's liability on their part. I would consider ordering online. I keep a stock of amoxi, baytril and minocycline for all of my pets. I'm not saying that I take guesses at my pets' illnesses, but if it's something I've seen before and know how to treat then I will do it myself with the vet on standby in case I need advice (I'm fortunate enough to have access to a vet who doesn't work for the public and understands why I treat my own animals).

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where abouts do you live? I've looked online but in the UK it's illegal to buy baytril without a prescription from a vet so every site asks for one.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I'm in the US. Have you tried fish and bird supply online stores? Jedd's has liquid baytril though you may need an item number since I don't think they keep it in the online inventory. Fish mox is the amoxi that I use and actually prefer over baytril but I keep both since my beardy has needed baytril a couple of times. Not sure what restrictions you might have on ordering from a US based company.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts