Rat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I've come onto the rat forums. I've been busy adjusting things with the rats, making new and big cages as I've got more rats!

Anyway, the reason I've made a new topic is because two of the new rats I've got, I am giving away. The reason for this is because I have some good friends that have never had the joy of owning rats of their own. The problem is, they live far away and I'd have to travel by plane to get to them. I'm worried about taking the rats on a plane. I've never done it before, and it would take about two hours and a half. Is it safe? The little guys are only 11 weeks old and I'm not sure whether it will be good for their health!

I know someone else has already said something about travelling rats but they only mentioned trains.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
most american airlines will not take rats at all.

·
Registered
483 Posts
My sister had to drive with all her rats from Cali-- because the airlines wouldn't take them, but also because she was scared that they wouldn't be safe in the baggage area which is wear they would have to be even if they had been allowed.

Anyway my sister is fostering 9 rats and already has six of her own

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I would worry about planes. It's been done I think, but a while ago. And I doubt it's comfortable, especially if they're in the baggage area, which sometimes isn't pressurized, and is almost never heated. I'm not sure how well rats can clear their ears with the pressure changes!

Can your friends not get rats in their area? Or are these really special rats to them?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Yes, you can fly rats. But you can not bring rodents into the cabin of a plane - they must be cargo. Some airlines do not allow rats even in cargo.

Rats can't vomit, so that isn't a huge concern.

The rat world seems to be split between if it's safe or not. I've been asked if I'll ship rats, and my first question is - Are you willing to pay the cost (about $150-200+, depending on the airline, and then add the cost of the the container, vet check, etc)? I've never had anyone still want to ship after hearing that.

Rats have died in cargo. So have other animals. So that's something to consider, though many animals are flown safely, of course.

I don't know if it's any cheaper if you are a ticket-holding passenger, though, which it sounds like you would be? I think, though, that you would still, according to the airline, be "shipping" them.

Most pro-shippers agree that it's best to ship more rats at once, rather than a few.

Here's some links about shipping/transporting via plane, if it helps:

http://www.afrma.org/shipping.htm
http://spiralgirl3.tripod.com/id18.html

You may want to set up a "Rattie Train" instead. :) (Which means, transporters drive X-amount of distance, then hand the rats off to the next transporter, etc. Not an actual train.)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the tips everyone.

I would be flying over on the plane too with the ratties. I don't think I want to fly them over now. :? I do have to get them there somehow though. I've got a rat sitter watching my other rats while I go, and plans have already been made. Are trains better? I guess I could do that 'Rattie Train' but there would be a lot of driving involved.

Anyone got any more ideas?

·
Registered
51 Posts
i dont have much experiance with shipping rattys but my uncle does and he has been shipping them on planes for years and he hasent had any problems yet. infact i just got my two rats in on monday and they had a 7 hour flight from ontario to british columbia with no problems whatsoever exept that they where a bit thirsty when they got here(one of them actualy seemed to enjoy the flight and the car ride home). so if you had the proper cage/box to ship them in they should be fine especialy on such a short flight.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Call the airlines to find out what they would need, would be my suggestion. Best to know what the airline you're using requires, rather than find out you've got the wrong container to ship them in when you get there. I believe there are special rat-shipping containers you can buy, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
51 Posts
my rats where shipped in a small plastic tub with lots of holes drilled in it(with bedding and food in the bottom) but a small travel cage inside a cardbord box with holes in it is what my uncle uses most of the time(he was out when he sent mine) like Kimmiekins said you should contact the airline to see what their reqirements are.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I contacted the airlines. They said, since rats are small creatures they can be part of my lugguge (no extra money needed). The ratties would then be separated from my luggage into an air conditioned, quiet and spacious room where they would stay until the end of the flight. They also said there would be someone in the room to refill any water or food that runs out. So I will be taking them by plane after all. I didn't expect the airline to even take rats, so I'm really happy at the moment. :D

Thanks for all the advice and help everyone gave me. :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update: I discovered that my friends don't have a staple diet for her soon-to-be boys. Does anyone know where to find a staple diet, in AUSTRALIA, which doesn't require delivery? I'm desperate because I'm leaving for the plane trip in six days! I know, so unorganised!

Please help. I've done a lot of research already, and haven't been successful once!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No this airline isn't in the US, yashu. :cry: Sorry, most planes don't accept rats, especially in the US! I actually have to travel (by car) to an airport two hours away from where I live , and then board the plane.

Sorry that I haven't replied to the recent replies lately! I've been quite stressed out lately!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.