Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone share some advice on how to cover cables from rats? Recently my girls took interest in electric and tv cables. There is a TV in their room, and some cables and extension cords behind it. It's only this one place in the entire room, but quite a few cables tangled there.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
The best bet is to get plastic trunking (sometimes called cable tidies, heres a small example, they do bigger http://www.diy.com/departments/d-li...mm-d20mm-self-adhesive-trunking/208451_BQ.prd) and fit that against the wall. Where it goes from the wall to the tv i would either try and block off behind there (using wire mesh or plastic sheeting or similar) or use garden hose slit down its length and then taped up after the wires are in it. This is a lot tougher than the thin flexible plastic stuff you can get in DIY stores.

I will say though that rat proofing is much easier with boys than girls. A girl can fit in seemingly impossible gaps, a boys girth is a little easier to block off, plus unless theres food involved boys tend to give up after a reasonable go at where theyre not meant to be. Girls rarey ever do

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will have to look for such trunking or large pvc pipe. Unfortunately I have several cables there, and a large power strip surge protector. I also thought about sprinkling since lemon juice on the cables. :) Or maybe there is something else harmless yet deterrent to them. Their interest in cables is a recent thing, they roamed this room for weeks and never nibbled on them before.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
You can also find them as aquarium tubing in places that sell fish for cheaper I believe. Some people have had success spraying cables but the plastic stuff is a lot safer. We had a bunch of cables in our room too - it took the boyfriend an entire day to pull all the cables through but extremely worth the trouble.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.