Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my rats are healthy. Very healthy in fact. Smeagol is finally gaining some more weight. He finally learned how to fight back when his brother tried to take his food. Anyway, I just moved them to a much larger cage and they seem to like the amount of space they have now. Anyway, I had the TV off and the apartment was really quiet and I heard this sound that can only be described as sounding like the Cadbury bunny commercials. I went over the cage and looked at them and aside from looking like I just woke them up from a very restful nap, they seemed fine. Except for this sound they were making. I took them both out of the cage and let them climb on me a little bit, and then they went right back into their cage. They had about 6 hours today of running around the apartment. That's what I contribute the lethargy to, but that sound they made made me kind of nervous. My last pair never made that sound. Anyone know what it might be?

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Re: Cadbury Bunny sound-alikes

Ohhh...that sounds like you may have a URI rearing its ugly head. Listen to your rats lungs (hold them up to your ear like you would a phone receiver), listen for gurgles, crackels anything other than the whoosh of air in and out.

Thats not a pleasant sound to hear. :(

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Edit: I figured out what you meant by URI.

Well, I held them up to my ear and the only thing I heard was air and a very rapid heartbeat. But rats tend to have rapid heartbeats. After all, they are rodents. The sound seems to come and go. Could this sound have been caused by moving them to a larger cage? I use the same kind of bedding every time, the same diet, and I never smoke in their presence. What could have caused it?

·
Registered
229 Posts

Gohma makes a similar sound off and on just like you describe. I called a few vets, and after telling them that the pet store had them on pine bedding they said to wait and see if it gets worse, but I wasn't satisfied, so I made an appointment with another vet to have both of them checked today. I've seen so many rats die where I work because they waited too long to seek medical attention for them.. I don't feel comfortable sitting back and waiting to see what happens. :/

The vets I talked to (all of them) said it sounds like an upper respiratory infection, so I bet that's what yours have too. :(

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Well, they haven't made that sound I was talking about since my last post. Maybe it was just a passing thing. I held them to my ear again and I still didn't hear anything in regards to crackling or gurgling.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, we just got back from the vet and my babies are fine. The vet doesn't know what was causing the bunny sounds but he didn't see or hear any signs of a URI. The only thing he said was that Smaug was a little overweight and they both had splayed and overgrown teeth. That was why they weren't chewing on things. He thinks that they already had the splayed teeth when I adopted them and it hurt to chew on hard things. So, the longer and more splayed the teeth were, the less they chewed. He didn't think that I was doing anything wrong. So, thanks for the suggestions and I'm glad that they're alright.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SamsterAndRocky said:
did he clip their teeth too then?
Yeah. The same day. I had 4 hours to kill because he had a major surgery on a dog. But they came through just fine and they seem to be in a much happier mood. They're really chewing on all their stuff now. I'll just have to check their teeth ever so often to make sure that they're still chewing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts