Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a single rat. I had 4, 2 pairs of brothers, 1 pair a year younger than the other. 3 of the boys passed away earlier this year. I had Jack and Reid (brothers) put down in january and february, as they had cancer. And then Owen passed away in May. He had several health issues, including breathing problems and protein allergies. The vet tried many meds but it seemed the only way he could breathe easy was when I ran a humidifier net to his cage, which worked and kept him happy for months. But he ended up loosing a lot of weight and passed away in his sleep.

So now I am left with Zane, Owens brother. Unlike his brother his is very healthy. Hes never had a health issue, and used to be super sweet, but since the others died he doesnt let me hold him. He screams if I try to pick him up. I try to put things in his cage (he is still in the same cage as all the boys, so its huge for a single rat) that will entertain him, give him things to do but he doesnt. He used to sleep in hammocks with his brothers, but now he sleeps just laying on the fabric, or on the bottom level which is covered with yesterdays news cat litter. He sleeps and eats. Thats all. He acts like he wants attention from me, but screams if I pick him up, runs away if I even pet him. I dont know how to give him attention.

The best solution wouldve been to get more rats to house with him, but I cant get any more right now. I dont know where my life will be in the next couple years, so I want to take a break for now. He is 2 and a half years old.

Anyways, I just got a new sewing machine, so this means I can make more things for him. I want to try to fill his cage up with new things I havent tried before. I usually just go with hammocks, ropes and hamster balls hanging from the top. What else can I make, with fabric? The cage has 2 main levels with smaller levels between that, its pretty big so I can fit a ton of stuff, I just dont know what. Any ideas on things for his cage, or on advice just for his well being would be great. Cage Animal shelter Product Pet supply Dog crate

The picture was the cage a couple months ago.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
He sounds really traumatised poor lad. Since you can't take on a ratty friend could you rehome him to someone that could? Nothing you can make could compare to a ratty friend

you could make him a sock buddy to cosy up to, stuff an odd sock full of boys of material and sew it up, maybe getting creative abs adding ears and a tail to make it a rat like friend

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've thought about that, but I dont know how he would be with new rats, now that he is an adult. Because when Owen died I considered adopting an older male, but there isnt a guarantee they would get along, and then I would have 2 lonely rats. When he was introduced to Reid and Jack, he was only 6 weeks old, so im sure that is why he was introduced so easy. Plus Reid and Jack were very laid back and protective of the babies.

While he is very healthy, he has been showing his age. He was issues with his back legs sometimes, but doesnt seem to be in any pain. I figured once Owen died, Zane wouldnt be alone too long, but he is definitely hanging in there. They are all petstore rats, so I wasnt expecting long healthy lives, you know?

·
Registered
105 Posts
To be honest... it sounds like he's used to having a lot of friends and being surrounded by other rats and now he's all by himself and is depressed because of it...
The best possible thing would be to get two baby boys (easier to introduce to adult males & you get two so they aren't alone if your older boy doesn't take to them) and when the time comes, rehome them if you decide life changes are too much in the future, *or* you could rehome him with a person who has rats he can be with his last months of life. The second may be the best option if you truly don't want to adopt another pair :( Older rats can very suddenly go too, so you could find yourself in the situation I was in- I got two boys for my 2y/o rat Lionel after his brother passed and he ended up getting sick with a URI right when the babies quarantine period was over, then he passed a couple weeks later, before they could be introduced :(
So I realize why you don't really want more rats, that's totally understandable -after so much loss especially... But I honestly can't think of any way he would improve without the rat company he's been used to all his life. Some old rats can adapt, but it doesn't sound like he is :( I don't know if any objects can help, I put in a little stuffed animal for Lionel and he had no interest, he knew it wasn't a rat and didn't want anything to do with it, not even use it as a pillow.. But everyone's different... it may help. No point in not giving it a shot :)

I'm sorry you're in a crummy situation! I hope you find a solution soon. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts