Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,i no i ask so many questions about the same thing but i wanna make sure my ratties are healthy lol....So i just got a pretty big cage...Its a ferret cage and i was wondering..do they need bedding or can they just have like random corners filled with diffrent bedding and kleenex and stuff..Is it fine if they just walk on the medal and plastic?

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's a good idea to try and litter train your rats - it can be done! I would suggest getting a plastic tray from a pet store, like a corner litter pan or something. Fill it with pieces of your rat's poo and some bedding they've peed on. After a while your rats will only go in that corner you put the pan in. It took my boys about a week to get the hang of it, but now they use their pan all the time.
Bedding at the bottom of the cage also serves not only as another bathroom, but somethign for them to nest and play in. I preffer Carefresh bedding, it's recycled paper pieces with no dust. At all costs, AVOID cedar and pine beddings - these are known to cause upper respiratory infections and urinary tract infections in rats because of the ammount of dust in the bedding. A bedding may say it has no dust or "low dust" but this is hardly the case. Carefresh or Carefresh Ultra is a great pick and I've never noticed my boys to have problems with it. It really encourages burrowing, though, and can make quite a mess on the floor.
Good luck with your ratties!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK well i put some constuction paper at the bpttom so the medal doesnont hurt there feet and i am getting a little box thing and i have bigggg hammocks and a corner filled with tones of shredded paper...do i really need bedding all over or just at the bottom of my 2 level cage.I also just have the plastic water things that has the medal party where they get the water from...is it best they use a dish or one of thoses water holders that they suck the bottom lol.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The water bottle/bowl debate all depends on how playful your rats are. My older boys either tip any bowl in their cage right over, or fill it with bedding, so it's cleaner (and generally healthier) to use a water bottle. Even if you have younger rats, it's practically hardwired ito their brains that the water bottle is where they drink. Mine like to chew the bottom when they're bored. =)
Bedding should go at the bottom of the cage. This will be easier for them to play and nest in.
Good job with the hammocks, I've never known a rat to not fully enjoy a hammock =)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts