Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have 3 new rats (only 3 toral at the moment). I dug out our cages we used in the past today and ordering new fleece sets/hammocks Wednesday, which got me thinking... I really want more rats. In the past we had 14 rats... and I loved having all the different personalities and loved seeing them piled into their hammocks.So we talked and agreed to expand our rat family at some point. But here is the question what is the perfect number? We have 2 cages we plan to us (male for one and one for female or combo spayed/neutered colony). Cage one is a double CN that could be a triple as I have the piece for a full triple cage two is a Martin's ferret penthouse that was custom ordered to have rat safe wire spacing. Anyone have multiple rats that has large cages have any advice?Next I want to learn to sew my own hammocks, any advice?

·
Banned
5,006 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I used the calculator and it (even at 2.5 cu ft each) our cages can hold 12 each (ummm nope lol). We were thinking like 10 total

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
My top tip would be to work out how many rats you can comfortably own and give the attention they need as well as what you want. Then divide 24(or 27, depending on how long your rats live for on average, 24-27 months is the average) by this number. This will give you the number of months between rats you would need to have perfectly spaced single rats. Now double this number. This gives you the number of rats between pairs (which is a far better way to introduce them).

So for instance I don't want to go over 10 rats permanently (in one group) as it gives me the relationship and time with them I want. Taking the average of about 27 months this gives me...
27/10 = 1 rat every 2.7 months
2.7 x 2 = a pair of rats every 5.4 months

So to maintain my numbers and have a nice split of ages (a mixed age group works better than all the same age) I want to add a pair to my gang every 6 months roughly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts