Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the rats had to travel home with me for the holidays this week. I'll be at my parents' house for 4 days. Since my mom is pretty fearful of rats the rule is that they can stay but they can't leave their cage and come out to free range. It's only 4 days, but I feel bad. Both of them are just pacing the cage trying to get someone's attention so that they can get let out. It's really quite cute and sad at the same time. My question is, is there anything special I can do for them until they can free range again? Extra treats...any other ideas? Good homemade boredom busters? I'm looking for a bribe because their little puppy dog eyes are breaking me down fast! ;P

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm thinking puzzles to keep them occupied. I think one of my rats liked this boredom buster: http://serribrat.wordpress.com/2013/12/05/tutorial-cardboard-food-puzzle/

Another trick I read somewhere: put some treats inside a toilet paper roll and then press in the sides of the roll so that they are closed and the rats will have to pry or chew the treats out. I put some yogies inside one, and the rats have been intrigued by it for a while now.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I'm thinking puzzles to keep them occupied. I think one of my rats liked this boredom buster: http://serribrat.wordpress.com/2013/12/05/tutorial-cardboard-food-puzzle/

Another trick I read somewhere: put some treats inside a toilet paper roll and then press in the sides of the roll so that they are closed and the rats will have to pry or chew the treats out. I put some yogies inside one, and the rats have been intrigued by it for a while now.
How do you keep the cardboard strips together without gluing them?

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
I fill toilet paper rolls with treats wrapped in paper towels, tie the ends shut with string and hang it so they can barely reach it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Put a nut in a hard shell inside too, once they get into the parcel, they still have to work for the treat

·
Registered
953 Posts
When I do the toilet paper roll, I do it like they say, but I also cover it with paper that I twist at both ends and tie up with a little sisal. If you look online, there are tons of little boxes you can make out of paper and nothing else. You can add difficulty by tying it up. If the cage is tall, you can hang treats at the highest point so that it's difficult to get to. Hang things on the outside of the cage for them to pull in. Mine will go to great lengths to drag things in that are on the outside of the cage. Even just a long strip of fleece or other safe material. I agree with selz too-hard shelled nuts can be challenging all by themselves. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts