Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'd like to get a couple of them cute ratties soon, :D
problem is trying to determine the best cage for them.

Mostly likely, I'll get one rat to start, then another later...

The Martin's cages look to be the best choice, but which one?

I'm looking at the Lodge R-680 and the Tower R-690

http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/rat/

They're are both about the same price...
so which would 2 ratties be most happy with?
:?:

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
The more space you give your ratties, the happier they'll be! So if you can, definitely go for the Tower.

Also with Martin's cages, make sure you get it powder coated (galvanized soaks up pee and rusts, so you'll have to throw it out after a year or so anyway). I've also heard it's highly recommended to get a larger/more doors, and to definitely go with the flip-top lid for ease of cleaning and decorating.

Also, definitely get two rats to start! Rats are very social creatures that live in large colonies in the wild- they are generally very unhappy when they are kept alone, no matter how much human interaction they get. A human just doesn't know the best way to groom hard to reach places, or wrestle around the cage at night, or snuggle up in the smallest space possible! Also, if you get two rats from the same place at the same time, they're more likely to get along better, and you won't have to bother with quarantine and introductions, so it's just easier for you!

·
Registered
221 Posts
the lodge has more length and width room which is good fro ratties but the tower provides more climbing space...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would go with the Tower as well, it's a lot easier to find room for a tall and narrow cage then it is a long, short one. You'd probably have a funner time decorating it as well, and there's the added bonus of two side doors. From a rat's point of view, the four levels would probably give a better sense of space, even if both cages are essentially the same size.

=) I wouldn't sweat the choice too much though. Either cage looks like it would make a really nice home for a pair of rats.

·
Registered
997 Posts
While rats to enjoy climbing, they also enjoy chasing each other around. So keep in mind an even cage would mot likely be best, so I say go for the lodge.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quite frankly, the R-690 is not suitable for adult rats. Cage depth should be a minimum or 18in, with the ideal being 24in or more. The 690 is only 14in, and therefore best used as a mouse/hamster cage.

The R-680 is a very nice cage for that pricerange though ;). I highly recommend the R-695 though if you can spare the extra money.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts