Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was wondering if anyone had tips for cleaning and disenfecting a ratties cage. I have a lot of hand sewn items in my cage that i am afraid will rip in the washing machine, so i was wondering if there was any way to hand wash with a non harmful soap? Or if there are any sprays/wipes that can be used to de-germ a cage when rats have URIs or any other contagious illness. If anyone has any homemade soaps or sprays can you please give measurements/intructions on how to make them? And for things i can put in a washer, any non harmfull detergents i can use or should i just wash them without soap?

·
Registered
870 Posts
For disinfecting I use vinegar and peroxide as described here: http://www.michaelandjudystouffer.com/judy/articles/vinegar.htm. I just add a sprayer to a bottle of peroxide and another to a bottle of vinegar and leave them in their own bottles.

For laundering use a hypoallergenic detergent like All Free and Clear or Tide Free and Gentle or a baby detergent. I have washed hand sewn items in the machine with no problems, but if you are really worried you can hand wash using those detergents.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you spray the cage down with both at the same time and wipe it down with rags maybe? or do you lit it sit or only use one bottle at a time?

·
Registered
870 Posts
You spray with one bottle, then spray with the other bottle, then wipe with a paper towel. If you read the site it is very effective against a lot of bacteria and can be used on fruits and vegetables as well. It's cheap, effective and safe. What more could you ask for?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright well thank you, i will probably use apple cider vinegar for smell purposes to.. Its what i use in a rat shampoo recipie i use.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts