Rat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to know what products you guys use to clean plastic surfaces.
I've been using dish soap and a lot of elbow grease with lots of rinsing for now, but I need something that will remove everything a lot more efficently.
I also wanted to know if Pinesol with a lot of rinsing would be ok for monthly power-cleaning or if this would be just as toxic to rats as pine shavings.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
White vinegar and hot water is my saving grace.

Something like Pinesol can be toxic. If you rinse, oh, a billion times and then some, it *may* be okay. Honestly? I wouldn't risk it.

With some cages we get surrendered, they are horrific and nasty. I wash them with a bleach solution, then rinse a dozen times. I wouldn't use anything more than bleach.

I pre-soak everything in hot water. Makes for less need for elbow-grease, most of the time.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't think Pinesol would fly :)
I'm a little scared of bleach- and hopefully will never need it as my girls get super pampered and the cage shouldn't ever be in a grotesque state.
I'll try the white vinegar for sure.
Any other ideas out there?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
bleach is the easiest thing out there, depending on the size of your cage too. for a deep clean, i vacuum out all the chunks, and then take a wet cloth to scrub off some of the gunk, and then spray clorox bleach something or another on the cage. i let it sit for 5 min or so and take it to the tub (or outside) for a shower-down with hot hot water. insta-clean, and safe after rinsed.

for spot cleans (like pee dripping down the side of the cage - joy) i also use baby wipes, they are killer at cleaning up pee and poo real quick-like. and i figure, if it's safe for our own oh-so-precious human babies, it's probably safe for my fur-babies too. :D

·
Registered
468 Posts
I just usually fill the bathtub up with hot water and dish washing liquid, let it sit for a while, wipe down any remaining gunk, rinse it really well with hot water, and that's it!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Dettol, if you get it wherever you are. It's amazing, and you use it for surface cleaning AND first aid so it's guaranteed to be safe. It's a disinfectant that you mix with water. Lovely lovely.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Vinegar/peroxide mix works wonders and it is SAFE!

Vinegar and Hydrogen Peroxide as Disinfectants: pairing the two mists killed virtually all Salmonella, Shigella, E.coli. The best results came from using one mist right after the other - it is 10 times more effective than using either spray by itself and more effective than mixing the vinegar and hydrogen peroxide in one sprayer.

I have peroxide in one spray bottle and vinegar in another. Spray one and then another on top of the other and let them sit for a couple of seconds and then scrub off, rinse.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
umm.... lots of elbow grease indicates to me that there is dried up gunk building up & what that indicates is that maybe you are waiting to long between full spray down cleanings (the one where you drag them out & spray them down with a hose)

I rarely find buildup that I have to even touch so long as I hose them down good once every week for my high number cage & once every 2 weeks for the cages with only 1 or 2 rats in it.

all I use is plain water then a 10:1 bleach solution sprayed down to kill bacteria... let stand for 15 minutes & then rinse again with plain water... done, either no or very minimal scrubbing

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The elbow grease isn't for tough stains, its for tough rinsings.
I'm paranoid about there being residue. :)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
ok... same reply as above with the addition of this saying that there is no residue left over on my cages

I have done the same with large kennels that housed various wildlife from wild rats & raccoons right on up to wild cats, panther cubs & even a pair of black bear cubs.... this was also the same practice of a boarding kennnels that I worked at some years ago... spray it down good, spray it down with a 10:1 bleach solution, allow to sit for at least 10 to 15 minutes & then rinse again.

I know the vinegar method works as well but I prefer the smell of bleach over that of vinegar while cleaning so that is why I stick to bleach. The bleach doesn't leave a residue either.

For my daily wipe down cleanings I use mostly plain water or just a few drops of bleach to a spray bottle full of water.

cleaners that leave a visible residue are sudsy type cleaners (kind of a milky haze)... avoid sudsy cleaners & you won't get residue.

·
Registered
130 Posts
You could use Seventh Generation cleaning spray. It cleans well, and it's natural and safe for the rat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts