Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be a good cage to house 2 baby girls during their 3 weeks of quarantine? Would something like a hamster cage be enough? I don't really want to buy something expensive if I'm only going to use it for a few weeks.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
you'd be surprised how often you will be able to use an extra cage

Don't worry about the money as being a waste because it will come in handy many many many times over

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
aren't these only your first ratties? their quarantine cage can be their permanent home. :D but if you do happen to spot a steal of a deal on any rat, bird, ferret, sugar glider cages, etc, don't hesitate to snatch that up because yes, you'll more than likely end up using it again. you know, for those other rats that you know someday you'll buy...

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, these will be my second set of rats--I already have two girls who are about 6 months old. In time, they're all going to move into a new, huge cage, once they're through quarantine and intros.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I wish I could find that thread on making a makeshift cage, you know, from the tub?

Dammit I've wanted to post it TWICE over like three days and I can't find it for the life of me.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Phobie said:
I wish I could find that thread on making a makeshift cage, you know, from the tub?

Dammit I've wanted to post it TWICE over like three days and I can't find it for the life of me.
I've posted that on here before but I'll be darned if I can find it.

Here is a picture of one if that helps. This is not my photo & to be honest I don't recall where I found it. I google a lot & this is one I saved several months ago when I was trying to help a member out who needed an emergency set up for a surprise litter.

I've also seen them with the sides cut out & covered with hardware cloth. That method offers even more ventilation.

Material needed would be hardware cloth, sharp box knife for cutting tub, soldering iron to burn holes through container & then zip ties or wire to stitch the hardware cloth to container.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't need it for cleaning - I have a room where they can run free while I clean.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just recently bought myself a bin even larger than the one pictured for only ten us dollars. I'm glad I did, and already could use a second one. I let my rats run free around the cabin for most of the day (often can be 12 hours, usually a minimum of 4) so cleaning is also simple for me. But, you never know when a rat will get sick and need to be kept in a single level cage. Or, GGMR strikes and you end up with two rats the opposite sex of the rest and have to wait three weeks for them to be neutered. Or, have both happen at once, as I'm dealing with now.

Pink

1 - 11 of 11 Posts