Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, very new here, but I've been doing a lot of reading and thought I'd post this to get some people's opinions.

I am currently on a waiting list for two male rats from a wonderful breeder in my area. These boys will be my companions at school because my roommates all go home on the weekend, and I'm left all by myself. I did a lot of looking at different small animals, because we are only allowed to have very small pets at my school, and decided that a rat would be the best.

Now I'm looking at cages...I don't have a lot of space, as I share my room with a friend who is in a wheelchair, and we need a lot of open space for her to move around, also the cage can't be too big or else we will get in trouble for having our rats, so I've been looking into a LOT of different cages and have rounded it down to three options, and I would like to get your input about each.

1. The first would be to buy a 10 gallon tank and a tank topper, there is one at Petco that is reasonably priced, and is not plain galvanized metal, so it wouldn't pick up odors as much.

2. The second is, because they are going to be VERY small babies when I get them, is to get a smaller cheeper cage to start off with, and save up to get a bigger one.

3. Spend the money on a Martin's cage now, and get the Rat Cabin with all the extras. (As this is about the largest I could go in my room)

Thanks for your input
Emy

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
3. Tanks are Not good for rats, and though toppers make them better... And with number 3 you'll avoid having to buy the bigger cage later.

The ratties should be at least six weeks when you get them, Martin's have half inch spacing like most hamster cages, etc. So they shouldn't be able to escape. If they can you'll have to buy a bit of hardware cloth for a week or so and that will be cheaper than a brand new cage!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for all the tips! I have decided to go with the Martin's cage, because I want to get the best for my boys! I've also decided to go with the coating and the openable top, so all the extras! I won't be getting my boys until August, but they should be born in the next two weeks, I soooo excited! I can't wait to meet them. The great thing about this breeder, is that she doesn't mind me coming to visit my boys before they are ready to leave their mom, and I don't live that far away so it's possible! *dances around while waiting for babies*

Emy

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
That should give you lots of time to prep all the fun deorating stuff! :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts