Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought this cage:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251895289676?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

However, when I set it up I realized it has wire floors, and a slightly smaller surface area than the critter nation (including all floors). Also, because of the vertical bars (rather than horizontal) putting the water bottled on it was kind of hard - trying to get them to fall in the right place for a rat not to have to stand on hind legs to drink. We managed to jimmy something together though. My cage has 3 floors, all about 1/3 the overall width of the cage. The height is great and keeps it away from prying eyes of my cat. However, it has wire floors and shelves and I am concerned about this. I am considering buying the critter nation single unit instead, but obviously can't afford to keep buying cages. Do you think the wire floors should be a deal breaker?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi Tanya,

What are the dimensions of the floors/levels? Would you be able to put some type of tray in/on them? Tiles/linoleum may be another option? Then you could consider fleece/etc?

Just tossing out some ideas to help you hopefully save some money!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The floor is about 30 x 19 (a little smaller when you take into account the outside bars etc). The two floors are about 19 x 10 each. The cage is a nice size. I was thinking about tiles etc,. Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
870 Posts
When I used a cage with wire floors and shelves, I went to Home Depot and bought discontinued or sale floor tiles with self stick backs. Cut to size take off the backing paper and attach to the shelves. Replace as needed. Soo easy.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I used a cage with wire floors and shelves, I went to Home Depot and bought discontinued or sale floor tiles with self stick backs. Cut to size take off the backing paper and attach to the shelves. Replace as needed. Soo easy.
I was thinking of picking some up from the restore place. D they stick to the wires well?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Yes, they stick well. They generally stayed in place pretty well, too. And removed easily to be replaced. The cage I had at the time had permanent shelves so moving them around or wrapping them with fleece or something wasn't an option, so they had to be wiped often, but it wasn't a horrendous chore.

·
Registered
62 Posts
wire floors

I have the prevue 495. It also has wire floors and i have dealt with this by creating a floor base out of four plastic placemats with a duct taped jointed area between them (so it can be folded to get it in and out of the cage) Then i sewed a couple of fleece sleeves to go around the placemat base. the fleece sleeve should prevent the plastic from slapping against the bars and potentially making a bit of noise. The fleece also works because i would have lined the cage bottom in fleece anyways. I think i might weight the corners to keep it from being dragged up...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts