Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
1:1 vinegar/water mix helps a lot... Baking soda works too. I sometimes spray down the cage with Nature's Miracle. You can try hosing it down as well.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I use Nature's Miracle, I sometimes use that and Clorox wipes. No matter what the cage is going to have Oder because the rats go to the bathroom every day. If you use fleece and your rats cage smells worse than usual you just might have to change it more often.

·
Registered
908 Posts
What they said above...Also ventilation.. I find that 10 mins with an open window does wonders.
That said, I also try to use a lot of disposable "toys" for them or washable furnishings. I use plastic houses that can be washed, cereal and coke boxes that can be thrown away when stinky, TP /PT tubes, etc. Also I have several sets of hammocks so that they can be changed often.

I find that even with all of the above and using aspen bedding, I have to change the bedding once a week or there is noticable odor. When I clean the cage, I wipe down the bars, etc. and also wipe the wall behind the cage (note, you don't want the cage right up on the wall or they will get pee on it).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts