Rat Forum banner

Cage Pic Thread (No chat)

236K views 287 replies 239 participants last post by  Sprout_and_Elsa 
#1 ·
Hey everyone!

A while back, our old cage thread was accidentally lost in the site transfer. So we're starting fresh here.

Post any pictures and information you have of your rat cage setups here! Keep in mind this is a picture only thread, so please keep discussion off it.

Any chat or casual posts will be deleted. If you like someone's cage and want to let them know, you can send them a PM instead.

I'll start with mine.

This is my Martins R-680, which housed my 2 boys. All the liners and hammocks were made by me :)

See less See more
#2 ·
O what a shame it got lost. O well, we'll just have to see them again :p

My latest cage pictures are actually a few months old, so they have new hammocks now, but anyway, here's mine:

I'm working on some really cute strawberry hammocks at the moment, so I'll have to post some new pictures when they're done :)

#3 ·
Just set this one up today! Spent four hours getting everything just right, and then discovered that all my rats can easily fit between the bars! Nooo! Happily, they're in a rat-proof room, which they usually romp around in all day anyway, so I'm not too worried. I'll have to put hardware cloth over the outside, I think.

Cage Parakeet Pet supply Bird supply Room
Room Furniture Shelf Closet Shelving
Cage Hamster

#5 ·
Cage Rat Pet supply Muridae Art

Both of these cages are Petco Rat Manors. I have three boys in the left one and three girls in the right.
And since I am a SAHM, they get lots of free range time (in the bathroom, with door shut- to avoid them from getting to the opposite sexes cage and having any hanky panky through the cage bars!LOL!)

#12 ·
Who says you can't make levels in an aquarium?! This is my 55 gallon, housing two females. The top is wire mesh (1/4 inch gaps) and the girls get tons of outside time. I use towels for substrate, spot clean multiple times daily and change the towels out/wipe down ever 3-5 days. I haven't had any issues with odor. Furniture Room Shelf Table
Room Toy
Room Furniture House

#15 · (Edited)
Petco Rat Manor

Upgrade from Super Pet "My Deluxe First Home for Rats" It was fine for the first two weeks, then saw all the "real" cages! So much more room, not to mention the white cage was almost hard to look through. Played tricks on the eyes...
Cage Animal shelter Storage basket Pet supply Rodent

Cage Bird supply Pet supply

Top Level
Cage Animal shelter Degu Pet supply Bird supply

Lower Level
Cage Animal shelter Muridae Pet supply Muroidea

Whole Thing :)
Cage Degu Pet supply Animal shelter

Pictures don't do it justice. At all.

#20 ·
Here is the boys' old smaller cage:

Cage Degu

Cage Animal shelter Pet supply

And their new FN I just got last night half off at Petsmart! (it had sat on the shelf too long and they had it severely discounted! yay for me)
Since I practically just finished putting it together last night, the decorating is pretty lacking and bare lol. It will be fun project for a while :) Plus they get hours and hours of free time around the apartment daily.

Cage Pet supply Bird Furniture Parakeet

#21 ·
View attachment 6350

My mom bought me this discounted Prevue Rat Cage for $75 instead of $170 for my birthday and I'm still trying to figure out how to decorate it! I want to make some home made hammocks but I'm not experienced with sewing so I'm trying to figure out a way to ghetto rig some things to put in there. I think it would be pretty neat to have a tunnel on the top left back part of the cage but I'm not sure how to set it up. For right now the ratties get tons of outside of cage play time because their current cage is a little boring :p

#23 ·
My rat cage =)

We did have too make some modifations. we put plexi glass on each bottom to keep the wires from huring their feet we also had to close off the little door that attatchs too the top part because my males do not get along even after the neautering. Peanut and Lina have the top part and Midnight,Lucy and Gladerial have the bottom. I am still modifying the bottom part too give them more things to do,but this is as far as I had gotten today. The reason I have the blanket over the cage on that side is because the air coniditonar was hitting them. we cant move it because either way it woud hit them so we blocked off where it was with the blanket =)
Room Cage Shelf Furniture Parrot
Cage Animal shelter Rat Net Lovebird
Cage Animal shelter Visual arts Pet supply Perching bird
Yellow Wall Room House Art

#24 · (Edited)
Cage Fictional character Pet supply Toy
[ Cage Gerbil
Cage Degu Rat Gerbil Animal shelter

I have 2 pairs of boys, one pair in each half. This is a Super Pet Extra Large on casters, with the provided slide/ramp taken out. To make it two equal cubes, I did some fiddling with two of the provided purple shelves. Since they have access holes, I did some severe MacGyvering with plastic baskets and zipties, turning them into sleeping areas. The top half has a little box and fabric for lining, and the bottom has Carefresh and a litter box with Kaytee granules. The diet Mt. Dew box has to be zip-tied to the wires or the pictured daredevil rat will fling it around while he's inside of it. (Another good reason to divide this cage; quite a long fall from the top for careless ratties like mine!).

The blue box in the top half picture is a ball pit that they immediately knocked over and ignored.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.