Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I am so grateful to have found this forum. The wealth of knowledge I've seen is amazing and I'm so glad to have such a great resource at my disposal. :)

Here are my questions:

1) I have two five week old males and was recently gifted an amazing two story ferret nation cage. Obviously my little guys are too small for the 1" bar spacing but in the mean time their cage provides ample room. I've had them for about a week now, and am thinking that since I have the huge cage to move to it'd be okay to get two more. They'd be about the same age, likely from the same litter but not necessarily. Would introducing two more be appropriate at this time? I know many things have said to wait until 12ish weeks but since these guys are so little I think it'd be okay?

2) Also, if I eventually want to get a couple of females, can I section off the ferret nation cage so females are on one level and males are on the other or will the hormones between the two torture them in such close proximity?

3) Will four males fit comfortably on one level?

Thank you so much in advance!

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
1) I think that would be fine. I'd still do proper intros.

2) First be aware that even some full grown or almost full grown females can still slip through 1" bar spacing. It just depends on your rats. Alot of people keep males and females in the same critter/ferret nation cage with it split off. It just depends on your rats. My different sexes share a room, but different cages. I see how they act near each other and I personally think it would be too much to be in the same cage. But the choice is up to u.

3) Some prefer just 3, but depending on how your males act together I think 4 would be ok.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts