Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya

just wonderin if im doin the whole cage cleaning ok

Basically every other day i remove the bedding and newspaper and replace it with fresh beddin and paper...but once or twice a week im going to (Started today) take the whole bottom of cage of and wash it with wipes and water...the wipes are multi surface cleaner wipes but what i do is leave the wipes under water and ring them wet them ring them so its basically a wet wipe with no chemicles ect..then after i cleaned it i run it under warm water rinse it all off...
what bedding do i use i know people say litter for the bottom of the tray i know there bedding is safe its like soft ripped up cloth can i still use newspaper for the base..?

am i cleanin it out often enough i clean food and water stuff everyday
Jess x

·
Registered
27 Posts
Looks like you are doing a good job to me. You might want to double check about using newspaper as bedding though, as the ink can run off on their coats and then they ingest it when they clean themselves. The safest bet for bedding is probably aspen (or another hardwood) wood shavings.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Yeah, although do you have a smell problem with your rats? You could save yourself a lot of effort by cleaning them out at least once a week (twice if you prefer).

Newspaper isn't bad, really, but the ink can cause problems if they chew it and gets messy when they walk on it etc. You can try get a cheap fleece blanket and cut that up and use it as a liner? You can have two or three liners and switch whenever you clean

You can always look for carefresh bedding (it's quite good with odours) or, I use towels as bedding.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I use CareFresh and have never had a problem with odour.

As far as using the wipes, it would be cheaper to buy either some baby wipes, or get some paper towel and use water and vinegar.

Are your girls.boys litter trained? Mine are halfway there and I'm amazed at how much longer I can leave the bedding in without changing it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Personally, I think that you should use Care fresh bedding, and also you probobly don't need to clean your rats cage so often, you can but that is a lot of times a week and if you clean it once a week you don't use as much time,bedding, and money.

Hope that helped!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts