Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two female rats in a grotto style cage. My rats are still very young, only about 8 weeks old, and right now, my cage seems fine, but I wonder if they will soon outgrow it.

The dimensions are: 16 x 24 x 32 inches (or 40 x 60 x 80 cm), with three levels and lots of toys, hammocks etc.

What would be the ideal cage for two female rats? What do you guys have for yours?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
16 x 24 x 32 is actually large enough for two, but bigger is always better. ;)

If you did want to build another one perhaps a little deeper, but if you want to stick with your current you could always have a playpen/play area/play closet instead. :lol:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. My hubby built the cage. It wasn't real cheap and I don't think he wants to do it again. LOL. So I'm looking at buying something bigger.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Well, Martin's cages are well liked, especially by owners of female ratties. Flip-top, powder-coating, and pull out tray are recommended with these.

Personally I like Ferret Nations, but if you own smaller females, you may have to cover the cage in something, as the spacing on the bars is wide. Feisty Ferrets are a cheaper alternative, with one wire floor that would have to be covered, smaller shelves and slightly closer bars, and the cage is slightly smaller.

Many people use converted bird cages and similar.

Second hand shops, Craigslist, and Ebay are all good places to look.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts