Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

my 5 males are living in a double CN, because of shoulder problems that can last a while, or maybe nevr go away completely, i find it hard and painfull to clean the large cage.
my rats do not freerange, they do not like it and i don't have a very safe place for it, they get their attention when i sit with them by the cage, and play and cuddle with them, they also climb out on me.

because of the no free range, i decided on the CN double. but it is very hard for me to do the cleaning.
i am thinking about downsizing the cage, with the above in mind, do you think the savic zeno cage could work for 5 male rats? it is w100xd50xh70 cm.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think one savic zeno would be a tight squeeze, maybe you could attach two savic zenos side by side.

Also, I think you should try again for the freerange. If you have no safe space, you can make a playpen or let the rats roam on your bed. I think if you make freerange a regular activity you will find the rats really enjoy it!

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's really important to freerange, especially if you downsize the cage. It takes a while for them to get used to it, make sure to provide plenty of hides so they feel safe.

·
Registered
224 Posts
hi,

my 5 males are living in a double CN, because of shoulder problems that can last a while, or maybe nevr go away completely, i find it hard and painfull to clean the large cage.
my rats do not freerange, they do not like it and i don't have a very safe place for it, they get their attention when i sit with them by the cage, and play and cuddle with them, they also climb out on me.

because of the no free range, i decided on the CN double. but it is very hard for me to do the cleaning.
i am thinking about downsizing the cage, with the above in mind, do you think the savic zeno cage could work for 5 male rats? it is w100xd50xh70 cm.
Two of my girls don't like to free range either. It tends to scare them a bit and they will run to me and hide.
So I have some stuff I can throw on the bed and sit with them while they play there.

Here is a calculator for rat cages - you put in the cage's measurements it will tell you how many rats that cage size can house.

I know there are some cages where the bottom tray slides out - maybe one of those would be easier?

·
Registered
967 Posts
The Zeno 3 is about half the size of a DCN but I still think it's acceptable for 5 rats. Without giving them time out of cage, though, I don't know that I would reduce the cage size. If it were me, I would only consider downsizing if I was willing to commit to bringing them out of the cage daily.

With a cage half the size, you will have to clean it more often. Also, the door on the Zeno looks absolutely tiny. If you have shoulder issues, reaching through the tiny door and trying to access all corners of the inside might make your life worse.

Have you considered blocking off access to the lower unit of the DCN and just keep them in the upper unit?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts