Rat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I are keen to get 2-3 female rats. We would likely keep them in our home office so we could spend time with them (and we already have guinea pigs in our living room!).

Available floor space is limited though we can go high. Would this cage be suitable - measurements H150cm x L60cm x W60cm? We live in the UK.

Table Furniture Building Shelf Shelving

·
Registered
Timmy, Basil | RIP little Ernie
208 Posts
I personally wouldnt buy that cage, I recommend the petplanet rat and ferret cage.
My three boys love this cage, and it is very spacious.

I also recommend getting three rats, not two as one will die first causing other problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, we have already done some moving around. The cage I have identified as a possible seems more than adequate in terms of volume from the calculators I've looked at, and doesn't have wire shelves so shouldn't cause bumblefoot. What are the min space requirements for 2-3 females? And are there any obvious unsafe/suitable features of this cage I may have missed?

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Height is nice but floor space for running around is very important. Rats are ground dwelling animals. They're not arboreal.

Personally, I think an acceptable starting cage width would be in the range of 30" to 36" (75 - 90 cm). I wouldn't go smaller than this.

If floor space is limited in your home, perhaps you could look at cages that can sit on top of a dresser or table.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Apologies if I wasn't clear. I just want to understand the minimum amount of space required/recommended and then we can focus on getting them as much as practicable on top of that :) It's confusing as there are many different views online (there seem to be more "standard" guinea pig space requirements in terms of recommended/minimum - which made it easier when we researched before getting them)

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Thanks - there seem to be lots of different schools on this from my research so far so really appreciate your personal view :) What would you reckon min depth and height to be?
Yeah, there's a certain amount of subjectivity concerning appropriate cage sizes. Everyone has their own opinions. Standards vary depending on community and region.

When I think about my own personal "minimum" standards, I think of what is an acceptable or good starting size. I don't think of the word "minimum" meaning just barely sufficient.

For 2-3 rats, I think a good starting range for width would be 30" to 36" (75 - 90 cm). A good starting range for depth would be 16" to 20" (40 - 50 cm). A good starting range for height would be 20" to 24" (50 - 60 cm). Overall, I like a starting cubic footage range of 7 to 10 cubic feet for the first two rats and an additional 1 to 2 cubic feet for each additional rat. Bigger on any of these numbers is wonderful.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts