Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,922 Posts
Height is nice but floor space for running around is very important. Rats are ground dwelling animals. They're not arboreal.

Personally, I think an acceptable starting cage width would be in the range of 30" to 36" (75 - 90 cm). I wouldn't go smaller than this.

If floor space is limited in your home, perhaps you could look at cages that can sit on top of a dresser or table.

· Registered
1,922 Posts
Thanks - there seem to be lots of different schools on this from my research so far so really appreciate your personal view :) What would you reckon min depth and height to be?
Yeah, there's a certain amount of subjectivity concerning appropriate cage sizes. Everyone has their own opinions. Standards vary depending on community and region.

When I think about my own personal "minimum" standards, I think of what is an acceptable or good starting size. I don't think of the word "minimum" meaning just barely sufficient.

For 2-3 rats, I think a good starting range for width would be 30" to 36" (75 - 90 cm). A good starting range for depth would be 16" to 20" (40 - 50 cm). A good starting range for height would be 20" to 24" (50 - 60 cm). Overall, I like a starting cubic footage range of 7 to 10 cubic feet for the first two rats and an additional 1 to 2 cubic feet for each additional rat. Bigger on any of these numbers is wonderful.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts