Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We adopted two rats on the 4th and unfortunetly after all our efforts out little girl didnt make it.

Now we have one little boy (neutered) that is about 5 weeks old and is alone. We know that its best to have at least 2 rats.

What should we do now to look for him a buddy? I refuse to go back to the pet store. There is a local rat rescue but they are def a little older than he is so we are a little worried about age. And our little guy really isnt even used to us quite yet.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Well i know it's best to get a young rat to intorduce to an older rat so....it could work.

good luck :) I know it can be difficult getting new rats, introductions,etc.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I'm sorry your girl didn't make it :(

My little girl was only 4 weeks when I got her, and introductions with the older one, who was about 4 months at the time, went really well. They got along beautifully, and didn't even seem to need to scuffle much to establish their pecking order - either Coconut knew she would lose, or she just didn't care much at that point, being so little.

I don't think the age will be an issue. Just take the intros slowly and let them get used to each other. But definitely get him a friend soon! Having a buddy will make him happier and more relaxed, and he will bond with you better.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I noticed this morning that his breathing was a little taxed and his fur is standing up like holly's was.

We put the antibiotics in the water like we did with holly and have that with him. I would like to make sure that he pulls through before we move along with getting other ratties.

There is a local chapter of the RMCA here that does adoptions but we are not sure whether to get two or just one at this point. I am going to keep my hopes up but I would like to wait and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
if you're concerned that your boy might be sick then treat him for that and wait on bringing home a new rat just yet. you don't want the new rat getting sick from your boy either and the stress of meeting someone new could make his illness worse. try to keep him calm and comfortable while treating him and that will help get him better faster.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea I am trying to spoil him and make him as comfortable as possible in his cage. He def hasnt lost his appetite. Hes been eating like crazy. To me this is a good sign.....right?

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
having a good appetite is always a good sign, yes.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Where did you get the two original rats from?

and you said your hesistant because hes not even used to you...well gettin him a friend might make him warm up to you better..

but if you think he is sick, then hold off.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My wife and I got them at petco, they were a little that was born in transit and they were "giving" them away.

We adopted two of them. They were in an aquarium and I am pretty sure that their living conditions were not the best. We decided that we would try to save a couple of them.

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Two things. Antibiotics in their water is considered very bad now. You cannot control the dosage, the rats often won't drink out the water so they get dehydrated and the abs that go into water are usually very weak and ineffective You need proper oral meds to give to your little fellow. Take him to the vet and let them look at him.

You said your Petco boy is neutered at 5 weeks old? Petco doesn't neuter, and I know there are amazng vets out there that can neuter that young, but even my awesome vet waits til they are 3-4 months old. If he was neutered he would still have the shaved fur.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took him to the only vet that I knew about at the time that saw rats.
I took him two days after we got him.

If you look in the health forum and look at the thread breathing heavy we have gone through this. (the meds in water)

He is too young to get the proper and better meds for this. I did talk to the vet this morning and I found out that the dosage is 2.5mg per kg so I can mix that into a certian amount of baby food or something. I gotta get a pretty accurate gram scale though. Guessing that hes 50g that would be .125mg that he needs two times a day.

So I might try to track down a good scale. For now hes drinking his water and eating very well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts