Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well our little guy is 7 weeks old now and he seems to be over his infection so all is good. We are still trying to get him to socialize with us but he just wants to explore.

We know its best to have some cage mates but not sure how to go about the whole process.
I think he has gotten big enough to put him in the bigger cage that we have and according to the calc itl accommodate 3 rats if arragned properly. (its a larger super pet cage that has a purple bottom and came with a shelf)

There is a breeder/rescue here in the atlanta area that we could go through so that we know the new guys would be healthy.

How many should we get 1 or 2? Our little guy is neutered so would a female or male be better.

I have read that neutered males temperment is a little calmer and they do not mark.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
usually rescues will only adopt out in pairs I know that the one I volunteer for will on rare occassion adopt out singular rats but only if they are not bonded with anyone else. I would get two just because of the quarintine period you will have to go through. Not all neutered males are calmer honestly, I got my boy neutered and it changed NOTHING he still marked and was still very rat aggressive. Also neutered males don't get calm right away it can take up to or more than eight weeks for the testosterone to completely leave their systems. Not all behavior or rat aggressiveness is due to testosterone either. Be aware that if you do not have a completely seerate airspace for quarintine you should at least keep them as far apart as possible. I have my personal rat in the far back bedroom with the door shut for about a day before I bring in any new rats or fosters that stay out in the living room at the other end of the house. which super pet cage are you going to be using? Is it the one with just one shelf? If so that is a little small to keep three rats in I would advise getting a bigger cage for three boys. Also if you are getting girls be aware that most girls can squeeze through the bars on a super pet anything. here is a good cage that you can either modify of just cover the floors it is big enough for 3 rats and at .5 inch bar spacing no girls will be able to fit through unless they are babies. great cage Hope this helps if not sorry LoL

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have no problem getting two more little guys but no more. It is the super pet with one shelf. We are looking at the two unit ferret nation. Right now this little guy can squeeze through his cage now so we had to use hardware cloth to keep him in.

On the rescue site they mention that they quarantine the rats, so does that mean I would still have too?

I cant wait to get more guys just want to make sure to do it properly.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
yes you still have to even though they quarrintine your guy might have something to give to the other guys. I think a ferret nation is a bit too much for a seven week old baby though he could probably squeeze right through.

As far as the super pet cage goes I would definitly get a bigger one for three rats. They like lots of room to play. I have the HUGE super pet and it says I can hold something liek twenty rats with the shelves and hammocks and stuff but I only have eight in there. Which rescue ar you going through? When a rescue says that they quarrintine it means that they quarrintine the fosters but not every foster home can be completely quarrintined at all times if they keep getting rats. I have two fosters right now and my quarintine just got booted back up by three more weeks because I took in another rat. How long do they quarintine for? what are their adoption fees? do they have a welcome back policy in case things don't work out? Just trying to give you an idea about how to go about adopting from a rescue. It is great don't get me wrong but make sure they are open to things you want to see in a professional rescue. Some peoiple open rescues and it is one home crammed with cages and disease flowingaround. See if you can make an appointment to go meet with the rats before you bring them home see if you liek them. Find out what kind of foods those rats like what kind of play schedules they have. these are all very important. I keep a log on all fosters that come through my home Age, weight, eating habits, nipping habits, what they are afraid of, what toys they like best, how they get along with children or dogs or cats and so on.

Sorry kinda rambled there LoL hope this helps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts