Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I may be cleaning my ratties homes TOO often. I read some articles a while back about rats getting really ill from cages not being cleaned adequately or often enough. As a result, I think I am going overboard on the cage cleanliness issue, adn I wanted to make sure that an overly cleaned cage isnt capable of causing problems too.

I clean the litter and other poopy areas a few times a day. I throw out ALL of the bedding and carefresh and replace everything twice a week. I clean ALL the toys, igloos etc twice a week as well. The good news is that the cages NEVER smell and my ratties never smell icky either.
I use a 10 gallon aquarium for the 'ratty hospital' (meaning that if one is ill or injured - for example, that is where Nicodemus has been recovering from his broken leg...poor baby) and I replace the care fresh and wash the entire aquarium 3-4 times a week. I read something that said that the aquariums can aggravate the respritory issues that ratties are predisposed to having.

Simply stated, I guess all Im asking. When is it too much or too clean?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
In my opinion, that does sound a little excessive. I don't think I've ever cleaned out a cage more than once a week, and mine have never smelled either. I also can't stand cleaning, and cage-cleaning day is my least favorite!

How often a cage needs to be cleaned I think depends on how many rats you have, how messy they are, and how big their cage is. As well as personal preference.

I have 4 girls now in my two-level FN. The top half is only one that really gets used, so I have to clean it more often. Twice a week, I clean the shelf in there - remove the litter they pushed out, and wipe it off. Once a week, I remove the towel on the bottom of the top half, give that pan a wipe down, and then put fresh fabric there. Every couple days I wipe off their wheel, and once a week I clean out the plastic tunnels they use all the time. They don't pee or poop in there luckily, since they sleep in there, but it would still get icky if I didn't clean it for a while. Everything else is cleaned based on usage.

I would think definitely keep up the spot-cleaning of poo, but the toys especially shouldn't need to be cleaned completely twice a week, unless they pee and poop on them (like my girls' wheel). And if the aquarium is in use, that sounds like a good frequency of cleaning, but I would just get a small wire cage to use for those purposes :)

·
Registered
489 Posts
I cant see any harm in that much cleanin.
So i guess you can tone it down if you feel like it.

I get crazy cleanin too. i redecorate once a week. clean as often as i can

1 - 3 of 3 Posts