Rat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
R.I.P Harald Fairhair & Pilgore the Destroyer, Barney, Arthur and Isabella
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have been trying to find a decent cage for my new boy. The cage that i bought before is big enough to fit two rats in there. But i cannot find the cage i have. I have an all living things rat starter kit with the big cage. I need another cage because i need to introduce a friend properly to Pilgore. Are there any cages out there that you can recommend. I am looking for a cheap cage that can fit atleast one rat in there so i can eventually put his friend in Pilgore's cage without them fighting too much.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I found a pretty crappy cage that can hold one rat. Its not the best, but it'll do as a temp cage. Its not a super tall cage, but i will try to put as many toys and treats in there. I got tons of shirt hammocks to give the new guy. I am getting another rat in December. Hopefully they get along.

·
Registered
Oliver Bean, Phyllis, Waffle, Taco, Atlas, Cirrus, Orion
2,717 Posts
Rats do remarkably well even in a small cage. Your new rattie will be fine until you can combine them. They mostly sleep in the cages anyway, and that gives you time to take the new kid out and socialize with him.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rats do remarkably well even in a small cage. Your new rattie will be fine until you can combine them. They mostly sleep in the cages anyway, and that gives you time to take the new kid out and socialize with him.
Ya all Pilgore does all day since his brother died is lie in his hammock and sleep. Even when i try to get him outside for his 2 hours of playtime. He takes like 10 minutes to get out of bed.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
He will bounce back, in the meantime let him mourn his brother and spend more time with him if you can.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He's gained all the weight back. Probably cuz he is getting spoiled with peanuts and raisons. But i am doing calls all over the place still can't find anyone who can give me one rat. I hate to have to do this but i might call up a petstore and get one there. Its paulmacs pets, idk if they're good or not. there is like 2 of them in the city. If i end up getting a feeder rat would that still be ok. I just don't want him biting the **** out of me or hurting Pilgore.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
It's always a gamble getting a pet store rat, not knowing how they will behave. Introductions are tricky, but sometimes you get lucky. Just do what you feel is right. From a pet store you will be rescuing a rat likely destined to be snake food, and that's something to be proud of. Talk to the shop, ask if the intros don't work out if you'll be able to return him and try another one.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's always a gamble getting a pet store rat, not knowing how they will behave. Introductions are tricky, but sometimes you get lucky. Just do what you feel is right. From a pet store you will be rescuing a rat likely destined to be snake food, and that's something to be proud of. Talk to the shop, ask if the intros don't work out if you'll be able to return him and try another one.
Well i can't just return the rat if he doesn't get along with Pilgore. It too far away. Is it ok if i get a baby, cuz i can find babies easy. But finding adults is harder.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Why not get two babies? They do better in a pair, and then Pilgore can bond with both. Babies would love him! And their energy would bring so much to his life and yours.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why not get two babies? They do better in a pair, and then Pilgore can bond with both. Babies would love him! And their energy would bring so much to his life and yours.
I can only have 1 because my cage is only big enough for 2. But if a baby would be ok then i found a breeder in a town right next door. I will be talking to her tonight but she is a breeder that sells dumbo rats. I heard dumbo rats are a little friendlier. If i could get a pair then i would. Yes Pilgore would love the energy from a baby. It would remind him of his brother too, his brother was all energetic.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Oh I hope you can get a baby dumbo! They are so laid back, so friendly, so freakin' adorable. Best of luck to you Steve, please let us know if you can get a single baby to be Pilgore's cage mate 😊

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya i will for sure post on meet my rat section. IDK what to name the guy either. It has to be viking themed since i already started with that.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It has to be viking themed since i already started with that.
Oh, are you looking for ideas? You could do Leif or Erikson, after the viking Leif Erikson who reached North America in the eleventh century. Leif also apparently means ‘heir’.

Or Bjorn, which means bear, so if the baby rat is on the bigger side and has a fully brown or black coat, he could look like a little bear.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have decided he will be named Sten Sigurdsson. I have been talking to the breeder and she has a few rescues as well as 3-4 month old rats. Which would be better for both of us. The babies are cute but i want someone around his age.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts