Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I accidentally hijacked the Katie thread a while back and talked a bit about my ailing Camel. He had pneumonia, it was severe, we almost lost him overnight. At an emergency vet trip the next morning he received a subdermal injection of fluids and was put on a nebulizer for a bit, and we continued batryl, (we already had some on hand) and also gatoraid, ensure, and so on... actually, the gatoraid through a syringe probably kept him alive long enough to make it to the vet... it was rough.

After the vet, he still would not eat, force feeding him was rough, he wouldn't even take his meds without serious force, and while he got better for a day, he instantly was back to looking like walking death. He wouldn't even lick his face clean from the batryl that would spill out of his mouth when we tried to give him his meds. We began to put some other antibiotics in his gatoraid, but he was just getting worse. It was nearly impossible to force feed him anything, even ensure. We began to consider what to do, we had him in a separate cage... we just wanted to make him feel comfortable, and we thought we were going to have to eventually put him to sleep rather than to let him suffer. His breathing was so labored and he was a walking skeleton. He is a hairless, and his skin began to flake off, turn splotchy, it was not good...

I stopped posting about Camel right after I said he was doing better, after the vet day, and never posted and update. Well... right before we basically lost hope, we saw him eat... and drink... and eat and eat, and eat and drink and that f'ing ******* came back to life. It was like he woke up after a week and a half of lying at death's door and said "enough of this being force fed, enough with this ****, I've had it, I will not die like this". He bounced back so fast that within a short time he was our old sneaky-hording food under the couch-nipping my shirt-begging every rat in the area for a lick down-corn eating champion-get behind the couch and the TV-run away when it's time to go back-crazy humping anything that moves-humped backed Camel.

I have never seen anything like that before. He has NO lung damage, he is back with his friends, back to see how freaking huge little Feets is getting, back humpinh Tiny, begging Stone for lick downs, and his skin is all bright pink, one color, and boinging around the room like nothing ever happened.

Just thought I would share. I had made peace with him, and I was ready to do what I thought I might have to do... and so with that in mind, I am very happy to say Camel has just been reborn in my mind.

I am a man, and it sounds cheesy, but these little guys get under your skin... you start to project your humanity onto them, and so a little part of you feels like it's not a rat that is sick, but it's my little homie, can't let em down.

Perhaps Camel would have been better named... Papillon.

To all those that gave advice and good wishes... I appreciate.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Good to hear about Camel! I was starting to think we'd never get an update :p

It's amazing how resiliant these little critters can be. I've seen similar, Katie when she was younger had a horrible chest infection - she lost weight, could barely breathe and was wasting away - and just when I'd come around to the idea that maybe I would lose her she bounced back. She kicked back at life HARD and won.

It's very good news your little guy got better, he sounds like a very special little rat-kid :)

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
I was thinking about your little Camel the other day, wondering how he was and if I should put up a post requesting updates...:lol:

The "miracles" happen. They are wonderful occurences thats for sure, but thats why a lot of us don't give up right away. :D

Yay, Camel!!!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I owe my wife a lot of thanks as well for tending to him while I was at work. She gave me updates over IM.

The segregation cage was right next to her computer, and she would keep him company at various times of the day. When he began to get better, she would share some dry cereal with him, we were just happy he was eating... he would pop out from under his little cloth in the hammock and steal the treat and pop back in... it was cute.

The funny thing is... you guys will get a good laugh, when we still had no idea if he was going to get better, out of the blue I get a call on my cell phone at work, see, even though he was in a separate cage, we would put him with the others for out time, they all were being treated for the same thing anyway, and we thought he could use the company, well anyway, so I answer expecting bad news, and I hear a voice exclaim "CAMEL HUMPED TINY!!!!!". You have to understand... the utter surreality of this phone call and my consequential happiness that Camel showed the first (very) obvious sign that he was getting back to his old self. From then on it was smooth, and when he gained a bit more weight and got his color all back he was back with his friends. Today it is like they never were apart, much to Tiny's disdain, hehe... Tiny had his couple weeks as the alpha rat, and lets just say, that Camel does a better job at keeping the peace.

·
Registered
626 Posts
What a happy ending! Mabye he could read your mind as to what you were about to do and said "Heck no! " and picked himself up and that was the end of it! As for the phone call... just be glad it wasn't on speaker phone as I'm sure some people not understand the joy in it :lol:

Congrats to Camel!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts