Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying all sorts of methods I’ve been suggested to do. I have encouraging with treats to do it on their time, I’ve tried getting them out to play in a play pen to bond that way, I’ve tried the hoodie method. Today one was so scared when I opened the cage she jumped out of the cage to the ground sprinting around hiding. I’ve been being consistent every day for two months. I don’t understand what I’m doing wrong. I’ve never had this hard of time bonding with any animals ever!

·
Registered
Rex, Penny, Sugar, Latte
430 Posts
I think you need to pay a lot of attention to your rats body language so you can do bonding on your rats own terms: Major Rat Body Language - RattyRat - JoinRats
If your rat shows any signs of being overwhelmed (frozen, puffed up fur, grooming), then just let them settle down before continuing. If there is anything super specific your rat is afraid of then it can really help to focus on working on those fears. For example if your rat is afraid to come out of their box then just take time to lure them out and reward them when they come out, spend time near the cage so you can reward them if they go to the door of the cage. As you train them make sure to note their body language since you want to be rewarding them for being confident so if they start becoming afraid or overwhelmed leave them for awhile until they calm down. As they become confident with the smaller things such as coming onto you themselves, coming to the door of the cage when you come near, not being afraid of certain sounds or movements, then you can get them used to bigger things like new environments and being handled. I'd just like to end by saying its important to understand that some rats may have a harder time bonding with you and learning to trust you, it may take time but as long as your patient and consistent even when things are feeling tough you have a great chance to make your rat a happy and confident rat and have a great relationship with them! If you have any questions, problems, or updates I'd love to hear them

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much! It just feels defeating when I work with them every single day and it seems like it’s never progressing. I wish I could talk to them. I’ll just keep being patient

·
Registered
Rex, Penny, Sugar, Latte
430 Posts
I know what you mean, it's especially frustrating when all we want for our babies is for them to feel safe and know they are loved, I also wish we had the ability to talk to them. For now we can only try our hardest to show them we mean no harm and want whats best for them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts