Rat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mother dearest is still convinced that we'll get the rats, one will get out SOMEHOW (How? I really don't know o_O;) get out and our younger kitty, Jack Jack, will kill one a week after we buy them. Like with our hamster, who was 3 months old and a really tiny dwarf hamster, and we had to prop two of the wires in his cage apart for this saltwheel thing he didn't even use... We think he escaped through that, and then Jack Jack had his fun.

She was the one to clean up poor Z's remains, and even though she seemed to resent the hamster, she's the one who still can't get over it.

So, can a 2-3month old, regular-sized female rat escape 1/2inch bar spacing? I need confirmation. I've countered everything she's said to NOT get a rat, but she's still paranoid about our cats. Or Jack Jack, really.

I've already made a board about cats living with rats, and I'm rather paranoid myself and don't think there'll be a chance for Jackjack to even TRY to get at the rats, but...

·
Registered
532 Posts
i've heard that if they can fit their heads through and opening, they'll be able to squeeze through. i'd say it is unlikely that by 3 months she'll be able to fit, but it depends on the size of the rat and how determined she is to escape.

keep her in the cage in the bathroom (with the door shut when you aren't in there) for a few days and see if she is able to get out - that way if she does, she won't be out in the open for Jack Jack to find her. or just cover the cage with wire/mesh so there's no chance of escape.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
A 2-3 month old female ought to be large enough that there would be no chance, imo.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Please forgive me if I'm out of my place on this but... I think since your mom says no, even tho you have made a reasonable argument (and yes I have read the other post,) that you should take no for an answer and stop pestering her. It's hard to not be a lil selfish sometimes, (especially when cute things are involved ^ ^) but maybe you should think about your mom and her reasons a lil bit deeper. Since she cleaned up the old mess, she saved you from the sight and further emotional trauma of it by taking it on herself. You don't know gruesome it might have been, because she didn't want you to know, and she doesn't want to see it again. I know you've done your research and I am sure that one day you will be a great rat owner, but right now I'd say be a lil more concerned with JackJack and your mom's happiness over a want of another pet. :( I know that's not what you want to hear, but think about it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I believe your right, if it wasn't for the fact that mum and dad agreed to it last night! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although I might have to wait another month or two to get the rats themselves, I can prolly get the cage within a week or two! WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, a regular-sized girlie rat can't really 'scape. AWESOME. My door'll be closed all the time innywho, but... YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, mummy said it wasn't TOO messy.... :(

This is just increadible, though. ELATION! RAPTURE! MIRTH! YAY THESAURUS.COM!!

You sees, mom and dad don't really like pets in the house. I was lucky to even hatch those chickies, and keep them those three weeks (two weeks after I gave them away they were eated by a opossums. I hate opossums). I mean, I'm dead lucky to have TWO CATS. We've wanted a dog, a turtle, and don't get me STARTED on my ferret-phase (I still wuv them). Believe me, I would've never gotten the chance to get a rat if I hadn't had Holly's help (THANKYOUSOMUCH!) and in the back of my mind I really thought I wasn't going to get a rat.

And now they say I can. Of course, I finally save up $140 or so, and now I have to spend it (NOOOoooOOOOooOOoOOoOOO!), but I DON'T CARE!!! Yes, my parents will end up taking care of the vet bills. I'm going to warn them yet again about it, but no matter how much I say it, they'll probably still be suprised when they see the bill o-o;

So I'm ACTUALLY getting my ratties. ONCE AND FOR ALL, I'm ACTUALLY going to go THROUGH with something! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY~!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Zim, honey, please remember to breathe. :lol:

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Now, now, if you go unconscious you can't get your ratties.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
-inhales-

Fine, have it YOUR way.

-grumbles-

I don't see why they wouldn't let an unconscious person get a rat... Discrimination.... I mean, really...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Good, glad all is well then, :D I've been enjoying it personally, they really are kind like have a dog, very personable and affectionate. Grats again!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haha, that's another reason why I really wanted a rat. No interest in a hamster or mouse, even though they're increadibly cute. Got one for my friend's birthday, named the Hamster Hamtaro, and returned him the next day. We couldn't even pick him up D= Then she got a mouse, and it was as cute as could be... But not very interactive. And when we went into a Petco for no appearent reason, they had alot of ratties and a sign with all the animals they had and descriptions, and I've heard about pet rats before, and as soon as I researched them... I was like, "Hot Dang, I want me a rat!"

Thank you ^w^

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Just remember to be patient if they aren't very friendly right away. :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh I knows. Me are patient with living things. Not so much with tv's and such.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
my three new girls are in a cage with 1/2" spacing, and there is no way their little heads can fit through the gaps (they are about 4-5 wks old)... however... when push comes to shove, they can fit through the gaps in their ladders, which are about 3/4" spacing. that 1/4" makes a lot of difference.

it will be quite some time before they are big enough to go into the big cage (1" gaps) with the big girls, especially as last night soot & ash managed to squeeze their heads through sideways (they know there are new girls somewhere around and want to go play....)

·
Registered
527 Posts
i'm 99.9% sure that they couldn't escape from a cage with 1/2in bar spacing, so don't worry.
my girls can't, and they're around 2 months old! ;)
and i'm SO GLAD that your parents finally said yes..that's so amazing ( i was in the same boat as you until 3 weeks ago!)
i'm sure your girlies will be gorgeous..i can't wait to see pics whenever you get them! =3

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
guess i should remind my daughter (beckoned) how lucky she is to have such a wonderful mum, haha, going by the number of kids here who have had to grovel, beg, etc etc, to have ratties :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts