Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

Can a rat live without his 2 upper teeth?

My friend's 2 boys live in their apt free range with a cage for home base. Her 10 month old boy Cinder tried to jump from one counter to the other and missed and landed on the tile floor about 20 mins ago. He knocked his 2 upper teeth out.. Other than being a bit shaken he seems ok otherwise....she on the other hand is freaking out and worried he won't be able to eat.

Will he be ok without those 2 teeth?

I need some information to help calm her down.....she's more stressed than Cinder.

P.S. I am trying to get a pic of him but he's so wiggly, all I am getting is blur.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I would keep an eye out for anything else more serious. (like internal bleeding and such-rats are rather stoic about their ouchies) Otherwise, I think we had a forum member have a similar thing happen recently. I believe they gave soft foods and the teeth grew back relatively fast.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Is your friend going to take the rat to the vet to be checked out?

If he's only broken his upper incisors, they should grow back relatively fast--but if he's actually damaged the roots, that may be a much more serious issue. He could develop dental abscesses (very painful and make him quite ill), and of course he'd need regular incisor trims the rest of his life, as there aren't any opposing teeth then, and his lower incisors will not get ground down properly.

And, as already mentioned, he may have other injuries, to neck, head, internally, etc. Really best that she have a good vet examine him.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was able to get him into my Vet at 5pm... closing time normally but they stayed there for just us.

He checked out ok, no abnormalities and no other signs of trauma. He didn't even struggle when the vet held him.

As far as the teeth go, there is 2 holes in his gums where the teeth were. The gums were swollen a bit so the vet couldn't tell if the teeth were broken off or completely lost. My friend was given some mild pain meds, some antibiotics, and an anti-inflammatory. Cinder will be seen again on Monday for a follow-up when the swelling is down.

Any suggestions for soft food that would be easy for him to eat?

Here's hoping he comes out of it okay on the tooth issue.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Poor fur kid, ouch. He should come out of it ok, they are pretty resilient little guys. Your friend can probably just soak his normal food if she feeds blocks. Otherwise baby food would probably be good or little rice cereal.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Yes, someone did post a thread about their ratty loosing his/her front teeth and they grew back in 4 days I think. Soft baby food and mushed up veggies and soak his current food in warm water to make it mushy. Hugs and kisses to the little one.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
The teeth extend very far in the jaw so they are unlikely to be gone. i had this happen and the rats teeth grew back mostly in a week. Just try and get them eating hard food again as soon as possible as it will help them grow back straight. Also get your friend to check thete diet. They could be sorry of vit d or calcium. This makes the teeth weaker and more easily broken. When i had this happen my boys were short of vit d

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gotcha, she is neutering him soon so I will pass the info along. Been trying to get her to sign up on here and told her how wonderful everyone is.....she is shy lol.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Gotcha, she is neutering him soon so I will pass the info along. Been trying to get her to sign up on here and told her how wonderful everyone is.....she is shy lol.
She mustn't be shy! We would love to have here join us. I have learned so much from this forum and you are all like family! I hope I'm not going to offend any SA people, but I joined a SA Rat forum and I went on once, and never bothered again. You can't compare. Oh boy, I really hope I'm not going to offend anyone! I'm just trying to state on how amazing this forum is😊

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.