Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked out every rat book available in our county library system. I was amazed at the small selection they offered (only about 10!) and extremely disappointed by the misinformation provided by most of these books (several were outdated and made recommendations that would make most people here cringe).

I have been to a couple nearby bookstores and their in stock selection is small (maybe one or two rat owners guide books in store) and I checked the Borders website to see if they had any better in-store selection near me. They didn't.

Now I am resorting to shopping online. But I don't want to buy without recommendations because I don't want to spend money on a book that is full of bad information.

What book would you would recommend to a friend who is considering becoming a first time rat owner?

What book do you refer to for diagnosing health issues?

Is there a good book that explains how to train your rats to do tricks?

Thanks so much for your help!

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I think most often the biggest risks to pets is when pet owners attempt to diagnose their pets.

If you have health concerns, consult your vet not a book.

I would suggest that your friend join a discussion group such as this & learn from others as much as possible before getting the pet rats. This way they are able to learn from real experiences as to whether this is something they would be able to commit to or not.

A book really isn't going to do that for you as much as a place like this will with all of our unscripted banter.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Haha, our unscripted banter... it's so true...

But with regards to books, I think there's really only one out there that's considered any good by the rat community.
http://www.amazon.com/Rats-Complete...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203440123&sr=8-1
It's written by Debbie "The Rat Lady." She also has a small booklet on rat health, that a lot of people actually give to their vets to help them out.

Don't bother with a bad book- I had one that said rats were okay by themselves, aquariums and pine were okay, and gave poor ideas about the ethics of breeding. So for years I had all these foolish ideas, because the book said. Luckily, the internet makes it really easy to get second opinions, so you should be able to do right for your rats with enough research.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
if your friend has internet access & simply isn't into discussion boards then have your friend look at sites such as:

ratguide.com
(a site every rat owner should have bookmarked)

ratfanclub.org/
(founded by Debbie Ducommun, "The Rat Lady")

afrma.org/

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have a book that is really great-- my sister met the author of this book

Rats
Practical, accurate advice from the expert

its by Debbie Ducommun

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Darksong17 said:
Thanks! I should have thought to check your website before asking :oops: I have looked there for so many other resources! After looking there and reading everyone's answers it seems the Debbie Ducommun books are the way to go! Thanks everyone :)

A1APassion said:
If you have health concerns, consult your vet not a book.

I would suggest that your friend join a discussion group such as this & learn from others as much as possible before getting the pet rats. This way they are able to learn from real experiences as to whether this is something they would be able to commit to or not.
I would take health care concerns to my vet, I just like to be well informed on topics as well.

While I find being a member of a forum helpful, it is much more convenient for me to be able to have information in book format. Not to mention there is so much bad information available on the internet.

Not to say I don't respect everyone's opinion here. I do or else I wouldn't have asked :) And thanks for the links. I should have thought to check those for book recommendations as well.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
well keep in mind that there are extremely knowledgeable people & very respected organizations that don't agree with every thing Debbie Ducommun writes about as well.

This is why I stand firm on gathering information from multiple sources rather than attempting to seek a one-stop shopping source for all questions, concerns or suggestions.

·
Registered
393 Posts
A1APassion said:
well keep in mind that there are extremely knowledgeable people & very respected organizations that don't agree with every thing Debbie Ducommun writes about as well.

This is why I stand firm on gathering information from multiple sources rather than attempting to seek a one-stop shopping source for all questions, concerns or suggestions.

I agree that just because someone considers themselves a "rat expert" doesn't mean everything they say is gospel. Debbie has a lot of good and accurate information, but not everything she says is accepted by everyone. You need to pick and choose and compare information from all over the place (internet websites, rat forums and communities, books, vets, and experienced owners.)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Debbie Ducommun's book blew me away. It was by far the best I'd seen.

I don't go for everything she says either (still working on the frozen liver and oysters idea 8O ), but most of it is quite thorough.

Ratguide is extermely informative! Check that one out for sure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts