Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Strelok & Nimble
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As my boys get bigger (7 months old tomorrow!!) I think more and more about wanting to get them a larger cage because I think the one I have right now is too small (this one; 16.5"L x 22.5" W x 32"H). The one I'm looking at is 30"L x 18"W x 24"H, so while it's shorter by 7 inches and its width is shorter by 4.5 inches, it still has two levels (as opposed to three) but it's floor size almost doubles in length (the biggest reason for wanting to change; gives more room for more toys, and also for them to run around, and also as they age I worry about them making it up 3 ramps). Another thing I have to keep in mind is I have them in my bedroom (I spend about 95% of my time home in my room), which is already on the small side, so I don't have room for one of those giant cages on wheels at the moment. And of course they do get at least an hour of free roam time so they're not cooped up all of the time.

I know rats love to explore and it can be exciting, but I also worry that, I don't know, it'll freak them out? Like it won't feel like home to them and it'll stress them out. I'll still be using the materials (hammocks, toys, etc) from their current cage in it so it'll still smell like them and it'll be in the same place.

I just wanted to see what the consensus was about changing their entire cage and if it's more likely to stress them out or excite them. Probably a silly question but I worry about my boys a ton and just want them to be as happy and healthy as possible.

thanks!

·
Registered
201 Posts
As my boys get bigger (7 months old tomorrow!!) I think more and more about wanting to get them a larger cage because I think the one I have right now is too small (this one; 16.5"L x 22.5" W x 32"H). The one I'm looking at is 30"L x 18"W x 24"H, so while it's shorter by 7 inches and its width is shorter by 4.5 inches, it still has two levels (as opposed to three) but it's floor size almost doubles in length (the biggest reason for wanting to change; gives more room for more toys, and also for them to run around, and also as they age I worry about them making it up 3 ramps). Another thing I have to keep in mind is I have them in my bedroom (I spend about 95% of my time home in my room), which is already on the small side, so I don't have room for one of those giant cages on wheels at the moment. And of course they do get at least an hour of free roam time so they're not cooped up all of the time.

I know rats love to explore and it can be exciting, but I also worry that, I don't know, it'll freak them out? Like it won't feel like home to them and it'll stress them out. I'll still be using the materials (hammocks, toys, etc) from their current cage in it so it'll still smell like them and it'll be in the same place.

I just wanted to see what the consensus was about changing their entire cage and if it's more likely to stress them out or excite them. Probably a silly question but I worry about my boys a ton and just want them to be as happy and healthy as possible.

thanks!
I change the cage layout about once a month, my girls love exploring and figuring out where everything is

·
Registered
139 Posts
I do minor changes to the cage layout about weekly, and change the levels every two months or so. There's very much things they like more, and things they like less but overall I do think they like the exploration and refreshing of the play zone.

If you're worried about it though keep one familiar thing in a certain spot, like a small house, tunnel, or climber. They'll have something they recognize.

·
Registered
8 Posts

thanks!
Mine LOVE a new layout. Whenever I change the cage litter and bedding I rearrange things a bit (although I always put their sputnik in the same spot for consistency). They run around like crazy exploring and seeing what is new - and looking for treats I hide here and there,

·
Registered
Cloud (Dark Phased Pearl) and Dew (American Mink)
581 Posts
Keeping a few things in the same area as before might help them out a little. I agree with other posters that although they might be a little scared at first, they will be really excited and thankful for the new space! I try to update Cloud and Dew’s cage every few days when I spot clean. I won’t do huge cage layout changes, but I’ll change a few things or throw a box in. I do cage layout changes when I do deep cleans, which is every week or so depending on how dirty everything is. :) I’m sure your rats will love the new space once they’re adjusted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts